550XP, seize issues

Mark_Skyland

Ive had the exact same issues with my 560 its been in twice now for new carb pot and piston under warranty and only lasted around a month each time.

I know my saw is high hours as its used pretty much 5 days a week flat out felling but just think they get far too hot in general dont know if its due to the way the exhaust gases run through the muffler which cause this or something else.

I will be sending it back again!!

I do think the exhaust port is one of the most restricted of any 60cc saw .

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do think the exhaust port is one of the most restricted of any 60cc saw .

Do you mean the exhaust Andy as the port looks OK, there is a very typical XTorq outlet angle which assists scavenging, it is very steep as it is on most XTork machines.

The muffler has that plate with a hole in the muffler inlet and can imagine that this retains a lot of heat in the cylinder rather than letting it deplete in the muffler.

Easy to find out, run a saw with a standard muffler and take a cylinder temperature reading and then do the same on a saw with a muffler mod!

Interesting point, probably better to have the restriction further in to the muffler.

Do you mean the exhaust Andy as the port looks OK, there is a very typical XTorq outlet angle which assists scavenging, it is very steep as it is on most XTork machines.

The muffler has that plate with a hole in the muffler inlet and can imagine that this retains a lot of heat in the cylinder rather than letting it deplete in the muffler.

Easy to find out, run a saw with a standard muffler and take a cylinder temperature reading and then do the same on a saw with a muffler mod!

Interesting point, probably better to have the restriction further in to the muffler.

The exhaust can itself definitely. Thought the port also was a bit small but you are more knowledgeable than me Steve ( that's why I send my saw to you :biggrin: ) .

it must be the reason why so many sieze or just wear out as im sure the exhaust gases run out the saw in a u shape from the exhaust manifold which causes the saw to heat up and the plate between the cylinder and exhaust

Most saw mufflers deflect and re-direct exhaust gasses as this is how you dissipate loud noises. The 560XP (not seen the 550XP one) has a baffle plate directly in the entrance of the muffler and a small hole in it and that will retain heat.