550XP, seize issues

Mark_Skyland

Having a bit of a nightmare with this one.

Aspen2 used from the start.

Overheat seize after about 4 months of use, looked like a dodgy transfer cover seal(the saw was already stripped to bits so no chance of a pressure test before hand) so a new piston and cylinder, pressure and vacuum test all fine gave it a good run and thought it was sorted. LAsted about a month I think before it comes back with another heat seize only this time complete.

No air leaks so another piston and cylinder this time (very latest version as it was only just before Christmas)with a brand new carb and autotune unit. gave it to one of the lads to try it over a couple of days which went fine so sent it back out. Not a very happy customer calls today after only having the machine for a total of 6 weeks saying the same issue again!!

Now, I have never had a saw return that ive replaced the pot and piston on and this could possibly be the third time for the same machine so any ideas what can be causing the issue please?

Crank bearings and seals are fine, all fuel pipes checked for leaks, exhaust and spark arrester clear, aspen2 used on other machines with no issues, im lost as to what it can be.

All done under warranty but the customer is rightly very peed off.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having a bit of a nightmare with this one.

Aspen2 used from the start.

Overheat seize after about 4 months of use, looked like a dodgy transfer cover seal(the saw was already stripped to bits so no chance of a pressure test before hand) so a new piston and cylinder, pressure and vacuum test all fine gave it a good run and thought it was sorted. LAsted about a month I think before it comes back with another heat seize only this time complete.

No air leaks so another piston and cylinder this time (very latest version as it was only just before Christmas)with a brand new carb and autotune unit. gave it to one of the lads to try it over a couple of days which went fine so sent it back out. Not a very happy customer calls today after only having the machine for a total of 6 weeks saying the same issue again!!

Now, I have never had a saw return that ive replaced the pot and piston on and this could possibly be the third time for the same machine so any ideas what can be causing the issue please?

Crank bearings and seals are fine, all fuel pipes checked for leaks, exhaust and spark arrester clear, aspen2 used on other machines with no issues, im lost as to what it can be.

All done under warranty but the customer is rightly very peed off.

If he'd already stripped the saw he's voided the warranty.

Then again, if it's an option I'd personally replace the saw while the one in question got sent back to Husky. Could you reclaim costs from them if the saw is defective?

If he'd already stripped the saw he's voided the warranty.

Then again, if it's an option I'd personally replace the saw while the one in question got sent back to Husky. Could you reclaim costs from them if the saw is defective?

Another husky dealer stripped they just wanted to charge him to repair it.

If I sent him a new saw I would be out of pocket the cost of a new saw unfortunately.

Another husky dealer stripped they just wanted to charge him to repair it.

If I sent him a new saw I would be out of pocket the cost of a new saw unfortunately.

Fair enough, I don't know how it all works.

Frankly it seems that it should be Husqvarnas problem. Get it back to them to sort it. Provided your client hasn't abused his saw then they have supplied a defective product. The buyer shouldn't be out of pocket, neither should you!

This is all from the viewpoint of an end user. I'd expect a replacement, but I'd expect Husqvarna to foot the bill, not my dealer!

Yes fully synthetic oil in Aspen2

Joe, as part of being a dealer we have to carry out inspections and repair under warranty if required. We can send the machines off to them for a second opinion or to help with something we can't do which looks like this might be the case this time but its something I dont want to do, as I should be able to sort it out but it just isnt happening. I can understand why they dont just replace machines straight away but it would be handy if they did this time!

One thing I forgot to mention was there was more carbon on top of the piston than I would expect from a machine running aspen, thats not from experience of stripping machines that have ran on aspen mind just an opinion in regards to how clean it burns.