what logs have you been chopping today!

william petts

2 hours ago, briquette_seller said:

Looks good. 

How comes the log deck is on an axle? Do you go out contracting?

Cheers, it came with one when we bought it second hand. Its only a £400 extra anyway so if i'd have bought one without i'd of definitely fitted one. It makes it so handy to move around the yard if I want to set up anywhere else. The 500cc quad tows it brilliantly!

I have done some contracting but not since I got the deck, would certainly make things easy. Would just need a tow hitch attaching to the processor so I could pull it along behind me on the tractor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rwhiteheadfirewood said:

So jealous of that setup. Couldn’t be any less handling involved. R

It's taken quite a few years to get it to where I wanted but it is so much easier like that. At least all the little trial set ups have meant I knew exactly what I wanted.

Of all of it the 3 phase motor set up is bloody great, makes it a much quieter job not having a tractor blaring away all day and can just turn it on/off with the button while you load the deck or whatever. 

• Like 1

That building looks to high to be any good or is it not Finnished .

Only 4m high at the front. It’ll get 500mm concrete panels round the back 3 sides and then sheeted down to it with the same as the roof.
Will want a gale breaker curtain on the front where the processor is too at some point before the weather turns.

Need to shift some logs first before we buy one of those!

Wouldn’t want it any lower I’d not be able to load the table very well. The grab and rotator hang down over a metre then there’s the hitch and linkage too!

16 hours ago, SbTVF said:

e7ecc6e9a5b759d85fcbea2895fc3b0d.jpg6b0a2f0018cf66416aed4a715c823b16.jpgf2be042d4402d315df8cfdb15a1f7f9d.jpg

Finally set up how I want it. Just need a sawdust extractor and I’m happy. Oh and the side of the shed sheeted of course emoji106.png

Nice layout.

I like the timber type seperation and the rotator allows tracking between the stacks rather than having to take from stack ends if you only have a talon.

Main feedback I could give is get the rest of the deck roofed over (the height of roof required to allow for rotator loading is always a killer though) and the conveyor. ?

Edited by arboriculturist

Nice layout.
I like the timber type seperation and the rotator allows tracking between the stacks rather than having to take from stack ends if you only have a talon.
Main feedback I could give is get the rest of the deck roofed over (the height of roof required to allow for rotator loading is always a killer though) and the conveyor. [emoji106]

Yeah that’s the idea. Need a little trailer to tow behind the digger so I don’t have to track back and forth 5 times to load the deck when I’m getting timber but otherwise it’s great!

No space to roof the deck, the timber wagon has to get through there to the stacks. The conveyor will hopefully get roofed at some point though.

It’s a 7.5 tonner.

The grab was about £1200 new? Rotator and associated hitch and hose added another £2000

17 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

Yeah that’s the idea. Need a little trailer to tow behind the digger so I don’t have to track back and forth 5 times to load the deck when I’m getting timber but otherwise it’s great!

No space to roof the deck, the timber wagon has to get through there to the stacks. The conveyor will hopefully get roofed at some point though.

It’s a 7.5 tonner.

The grab was about £1200 new? Rotator and associated hitch and hose added another £2000

Yes, I was looking at the length of that stack - it's a longgggggggggggggggg way to the far end!

One of our main hauliers says he needs 6 metres headroom to unload with the crane.

Ideal 7.5 anything less just no reach. May just stick with the talon for now as no auxiliary circuits on the ex. 

At lot of people must be envious of that setup and you will have worked hard over the years to have that level of processing machinery etc.

Have you a mountain of IBC's stacked somewhere and a forklift  looking at the amount of roundwood there! ?

Yes, I was looking at the length of that stack - it's a longgggggggggggggggg way to the far end!

One of our main hauliers says he needs 6 metres headroom to unload with the crane.

Ideal 7.5 anything less just no reach. May just stick with the talon for now as no auxiliary circuits on the ex. 

At lot of people must be envious of that setup and you will have worked hard over the years to have that level of processing machinery etc.

Have you a mountain of IBC's stacked somewhere and a forklift  looking at the amount of roundwood there! [emoji106]

It’s not too bad as the digger can track quite quickly but no point wasting time if I don’t have to.

Yeah it’s the perfect size for pretty much anything we ever do. Wouldn’t say no to the 15 tonner Takeuchi do and then a 3.5t for everything else. One day!!

It’s taken a lot of hard work and long days working to get to this stage so it’s nice to know it’s noticed and worth it!

Have just over 100 IBC’s, they are useful but I hate them. They’re slow to fill and move about. The intention is to concrete an alley between some buildings and tip the logs loose there to dry and cover them with breathable sheet so they don’t get soaking wet.

Using custom built cages to utilise the kiln area better and processing 3-5 months ahead of drying we can almost double our drying capacity without building a second kiln. That’s the plan anyway.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SbTVF said:

It’s a 7.5 tonner.

Have you considered mounting a rack on the blade for carrying logs? I'm not sure how much weight the rams would take but I know a few fencers carry stakes like that. 

Edited by gdh