what logs have you been chopping today!

william petts

14 minutes ago, woody paul said:

How are they stacked neat on pallets or is there wire netting around them..

Yes, we use stock fencing for crates and them put them on pallets to move around the yard.

21 minutes ago, william petts said:

Nice! How are you getting on with it? What sorta output are you getting?

Only used it the once last week on some really wonky wood so the output wasn't the best, probably 6 bags in 5 hours.

But I have some decent wood on the yard now so will have fun processing this stuff.

WP_20170904_003[1].jpg

Orders have been picking up for us. A few pictures of us bringing in wood. We cut anything under 6 inch with a chainsaw to keep speed and quality up and take out the tidy stuff for fence posts.

Must say I'm jealous of the straight wood some of you have. 

DSC_2153.JPG

DSC_2178.JPG

DSC_2175.JPG

DSC_2132.JPG

DSC_2158.JPG

Edited by gdh

On 04/09/2017 at 22:07, gdh said:

Orders have been picking up for us. A few pictures of us bringing in wood. We cut anything under 6 inch with a chainsaw to keep speed and quality up and take out the tidy stuff for fence posts.

Must say I'm jealous of the straight wood some of you have. 

DSC_2153.JPG

DSC_2178.JPG

DSC_2175.JPG

DSC_2132.JPG

DSC_2158.JPG

I noticed on your first pic gdh, the huge stack of cord thar looks like its going on forever! Is it all yours and if so roughly hoe nuch do u have stacked up out of interest.

I think it's about 1400 tons here, few hundred from our own woods and the rest we buy in from locally. We like to be a year ahead so just keep buying up to the overdraft limit. :-) 

Should be a better view in one of these:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=350767781992629&id=260687344334007

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=296342870768454&id=260687344334007

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, gdh said:

I think it's about 1400 tons here, few hundred from our own woods and the rest we buy in from locally. We like to be a year ahead so just keep buying up to the overdraft limit. :-) 

Should be a better view in one of these:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=350767781992629&id=260687344334007

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=296342870768454&id=260687344334007

Looks like you managed to take 5 minutes off work to fly your drone. Must be a pain to move all that timber back to the Farm to process but you will have crunched the numbers before you built your drying shed. We live on a hill, but I do all I can not to double handle anything - not always easy. Enjoyed the video footage though, couldn't quite see my sister's house at the end of the main drive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Looks like you managed to take 5 minutes off work to fly your drone. Must be a pain to move all that timber back to the Farm to process but you will have crunched the numbers before you built your drying shed. We live on a hill, but I do all I can not to double handle anything - not always easy. Enjoyed the video footage though, couldn't quite see my sister's house at the end of the main drive.

Yes, I try and take the drone our when I get a chance, you can get some great footage with them.

It is annoying moving it, we started stacking there because we cut our own wood but we can't move it closer because the farms on the side of a hill and there's no room for artics to turn either. It costs about £5 a ton to move but not much choice unfortunately. 

On the plus side it's nice and windy there for drying. 

Edited by gdh

£5 a tonne - you have to do something to address that ! Have you equated the  additional cost of drying green wood versus that you stack on the other side of the hill?

If the cost is negligable at least you could keep the drying barn supplied from an 8 wheeler. (If tight, I am sure you have good excavator skills).

To avoid double handling we have everything delivered on an 8 wheeler so it gets unloaded perfectly orientated for us to load straight onto the log deck.

I am constantly looking at time and motion and ways to increase efficiency.

Edited by arboriculturist

4 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

£5 a tonne - you have to do something to address that ! Have you equated the  additional cost of drying green wood versus that you stack on the other side of the hill?

If the cost is negligable at least you could keep the drying barn supplied from an 8 wheeler. (If tight, I am sure you have good excavator skills).

To avoid double handling we have everything delivered on an 8 wheeler so it gets unloaded perfectly orientated for us to load straight onto the log deck.

I am constantly looking at time and motion and ways to increase efficiency.

That's a good system. I'm always looking at ways of improving efficiency, we've got it mostly sorted after cutting - cut it into boxes, into the drying shed then rotate the boxes to tip it into the pickup for delivery. 

I think you could just about justify drying fresh ash but we would be tying up drying space and we're at capacity in the winter anyway. Oak needs to be seasoned for a long time so I doubt it would be practical. 

Also at peak we're processing 50tons a week and it would be a nightmare trying to organise all the lorries. We're at the point now where we just get a phonecall offering us wood and we let them get on with bringing it in when they want. 

We have considered stacking closer but by the cutting shed is very steep with access issues and I don't want to waste a decent field nearby because by the time you've loaded and unloaded there wouldn't be much time saved.

So... Yes... not many ways out of it unfortunately. The only slight improvement will be when we get a bigger timber trailer soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, william petts said:

Love your Facebook page mate! I noticed on one the the vids part of your cord stack was covered by a tarpaulin. What's the reason for that and does it improve drying time if you covered the stack, or part of it atleast

Thanks. I try to keep it updated since it's surprising how many people like seeing 'behind the scenes ' and it gets us a few new customers. 

Yes, we just use silage plastic to cover them so we can pull it on and off with the log grab without worrying. We found if you cover the top in a dry spell it cuts a quarter to a third of the drying time and that makes a big difference when we're struggling in the winter. 

Unfortunately I haven't covered any this year yet so I'm really hoping we get a dry week or two soon.

• Like 2