what logs have you been chopping today!

william petts

2 hours ago, Mikeyb2704 said:

Nothing like you lads but managed to get the last of my wood split and in ibcs ready for next year. 
Now to find more to carry on stocking up. 

8E434E24-C4D1-48F0-8077-5045BADF6CE9.jpeg

You must have done it a while ago cos that Ash tree behind is still in leaf

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

32 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I did 2.5 IBC’s in an hour and a half, that’s about 5 dumpy bags worth I believe. I’ll pick up the pace a little more though as I get more used to it’s quirks. It spat a couple of chains so that did not help.

Not bad. I aim for 3 an hour but the size of the timber coming in is the biggest factor, there is a sweet spot where you get a nice 4 way split.

Yeah roughly 2 bags to a crate. My palax throws chains every now and then too, little brashy bits often the culprit, as is sprocket wear. 

I like the idea of a tow behind but often wondered if the little petrol engines were up to the job. Stalled it yet?!

I stalled a 35 hp tractor with mine before, although I was using it not much above tick over in 1000 pto to save fuel!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

Not bad. I aim for 3 an hour but the size of the timber coming in is the biggest factor, there is a sweet spot where you get a nice 4 way split.

Yeah roughly 2 bags to a crate. My palax throws chains every now and then too, little brashy bits often the culprit, as is sprocket wear. 

I like the idea of a tow behind but often wondered if the little petrol engines were up to the job. Stalled it yet?!

I stalled a 35 hp tractor with mine before, although I was using it not much above tick over in 1000 pto to save fuel!

3 IBC's an hour? Thats some going! When using the Estates Palax 35 Im lucky if I get 14m3 of straight softwood a day, but thats with me loading the logs onto the log deck and taking the full bags away and stacking them. Hardwood and I was down to 10 1m3 bags. 

Its only a wee Honda GX390 and as it has dual rams they're both quite under powered really, compared to the WP36 anyway which runs on the same engine. But seem to handle what they're designed for, which is skinny sticks below 10" quite happily. Although I seriously doubt that I could split 10" hardwood at the full 600mm length, we'll see though. :D 

Ive stalled it a couple of times yeh. If the logs fall wrong the engine just seems to labour. Getting the difference in the controls between the Palax and the Hakki into my muscle memory seems to be speeding things up and saving jams before they happen. 

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

3 IBC's an hour? Thats some going! When using the Estates Palax 35 Im lucky if I get 14m3 of straight softwood a day, but thats with me loading the logs onto the log deck and taking the full bags away and stacking them. Hardwood and I was down to 10 1m3 bags. 

Its only a wee Honda GX390 and as it has dual rams they're both quite under powered really, compared to the WP36 anyway which runs on the same engine. But seem to handle what they're designed for, which is skinny sticks below 10" quite happily. Although I seriously doubt that I could split 10" hardwood at the full 600mm length, we'll see though. :D 

Ive stalled it a couple of times yeh. If the logs fall wrong the engine just seems to labour. Getting the difference in the controls between the Palax and the Hakki into my muscle memory seems to be speeding things up and saving jams before they happen. 

I said I aim for three, not necessarily achieve it!

I've a log deck (of sorts) which takes enough for three ibcs easily and I line up all three crates then swing the outfeed conveyor from one to the other as they fill. With the right timber I can load, process and stack the full crates in an hour if everything goes perfect. 

It has taken over two when things don't. But we don't speak of those days!

Yeah,my stall was a combination of jammed chain and knotty log gone sideways. 

I rarely do a full day as timber is usually an evening or "one load at a time" job for me. I have only done a few offsite jobs with the palax. The biggest was 224 ton bags of ash thinnings. A lot of it too small to split so it took a while!

33 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

A long time since I did this but with a Palax on  a tractor I reckoned 14 bags of mixed hardwood, cut ,split and stacked in the barn was a good day for me. Bags loaded on the upside down pallet tines of a small front loader

• Like 1