what logs have you been chopping today!

william petts

I spent the last 2 weekends sawing and splitting a load of felled roughly 2 feet diameter beech trunks, I sawed them into 17" sections then split each one into 6 pieces with wedges and 14lb sledgehammer. That was the easy bit, carrying them to the edge of the woodland was hard work as the ground was sodden wet and very uneven. Shifted 5 cubic metres so far in about 13 hours of work. There is one trunk section still to do, about 12' long and 3' diameter at the thickest end tapering to 2 1/2'. The tree had to come down as it was starting to rot in the middle. 

• Like 2

On 19/04/2018 at 23:13, SbTVF said:

Trying to figure out how to get an old 2.8litre Isuzu trooper engine we’ve got fitted up to power it so we can keep the tractors free first though!

Have you made any progress on this yet? 

My job this week (rain permitting) is to set this 2.8 iveco up as a PTO unit.

engine.jpg

• Like 1

On 24/08/2018 at 19:35, Woodworks said:

Great day yesterday. Didn't get to site until late but cleared a whole wagon load of softwood by 18.00. Customer very happy.

Not all recent jobs have been so nice though. Cutting up some orrible rotten carp last week and sticks for someone the week before. The sticks were down to finger size! Jobs like those I just have to remember I get paid by the hour and the customer is alway right. 

IMG_20180820_082927.jpg

IMG_20180802_141424.jpg

Glad I am  not the only one that gets jobs like that.

16 minutes ago, Justme said:

Glad I am  not the only one that gets jobs like that.

More jobs are at the ugly end of the scale than the "waggon load of softwood in day" end.

Trying to give it up now as my back is not holding up to full on days loading and cutting. Not easy though as some rely on me doing there logs each season and seems there are not many other contractors for these smaller jobs about down here

Edited by Woodworks

13 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

More jobs are at the ugly end of the scale than the "waggon load of softwood in day" end.

Trying to give it up now as my back is not holding up to full on days loading and cutting. Not easy though as some rely on me doing there logs each season and seems there are not many other contractors for these smaller jobs about down here

We travel lol.

Has to be viable for both parties.