what logs have you been chopping today!

william petts

Why are you filling the IBC's with about 1.3m3 of logs?

Perhaps that is how you sell them - 1.3m3 for £ ???
They'll shrink for a start but also making the most of the stacking/seasoning space.
Usually use the extra to top up others or fill an extra if needed.

Always fill to 1m3 and never had a complaint after 1000's of m3. The shrinkage in reality is negligible. We are not keen to handle split logs once in the crates, everyone to their own of course.

We used to line with mesh but the labour and materials cost made it uneconomic, so yes we do pick a few up off the ground when we change processing length that have slipped through the cage sides, but that's about the only time we lay a finger on a log now.

It's getting harder all the time to run a profitable setup so efficiency is more important than ever I think. All the time I am thinking how can we become even more efficient, still have a few ideas to make loading the delivery vehicle but that will cost iro 2K so pausing on that one for now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Why are you filling the IBC's with about 1.3m3 of logs?

Perhaps that is how you sell them - 1.3m3 for £ ???

We do the same. It shrinks a fair bit and I hate wasting expensive storage space so they get filled to the max. I handball off the excess and try to have any sub 8" logs at the top which get handballed into a separate crate for those customers that need dinky logs. If for some reason the logs are poorer quality ie some willow or maybe slightly turning wood I send out the whole crate to make up for the lesser quality wood. Yes, it takes a few mins per load to sort but are margins really that tight you can't afford some sorting?

Fair comments. We used to do the same, but then paused to do the maths and suddenly realised that over a 12 month period we were actually spending days throwing logs and as knowone loved the job we stopped. I spent the money saved on more IBC's. Everyone was happier !

What works for one doesn't always apply to another of course.

The whole setup has to work like a well oiled machine, which takes a large investment in time, effort and cash. Things have definitely got harder, especially the timber price rises much of which we have had to absorb even more reason to work on your business.

Fair comments. We used to do the same, but then paused to do the maths and suddenly realised that over a 12 month period we were actually spending days throwing logs and as knowone loved the job we stopped. I spent the money saved on more IBC's. Everyone was happier !
What works for one doesn't always apply to another of course.
The whole setup has to work like a well oiled machine, which takes a large investment in time, effort and cash. Things have definitely got harder, especially the timber price rises much of which we have had to absorb even more reason to work on your business.
I think I spend more time waiting for customer's to move their cars off the drive than swapping a few logs off the top of a crate now and then. It's not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things.

• 4 weeks later...

Mostly windblown birch, willow and rowan through June and July. I've got some nice stacks dotted round the estate woodlands now. The last picture is an overview of the woodlands I work. You may be able to spot the big white house which is the main property on the estate. Its a lovely area.

20190714_141429.jpg

20190720_172550.jpg

20190726_113631.jpg

20190728_173643.jpg

20190728_184302.jpg

20190728_190002.jpg

20190714_104510.jpg

20190614_122923.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...