what logs have you been chopping today!

william petts

Have you considered mounting a rack on the blade for carrying logs? I'm not sure how much weight the rams would take but I know a few fencers carry stakes like that. 

That’s a thought but it’s bloody awkward using the grab that close in I’ve found anyway and the deck will take a good few grab fulls.

Any old crappy timber trailer with bolsters on would be best I think or even a grain trailer chassis and make the bolsters. Though you can get an 8t brand new kellfri forwarding trailer for £3200 or £3800 if you want it braked.

We had a tracked 7.5 tonne ex. before Firewood. Did you go out and purposefully buy a tracked excavator, as you know its not the ideal machine? 

It was bought to do the groundworks on our static holiday caravan park about 5 years ago. Looking at second hand prices it’s barely lost a penny in value. We’ve repinned the whole arm, replaced the main knuckle at the base of the boom and top hitch and it’s as good as new mechanically speaking which is good as we’ve still got another 5 years of work for it to finish the site.
  • Like 2

I have been busy weekends of recent cutting out new rides through a boggy wild woodland, getting through leggy birch and rowan mostly. Here's a few videos detailing the process from standing tree to split log. Please excuse the crappy editing, grainy footage, poor sound quality in these plus the double speed effect. https://youtu.be/ag4fHC4LOs4

https://youtu.be/Hjf6VotN7Kw

• Like 4

My recently deceased big black dog Hugo, had the brains to stay a safe distance away when I was wielding the chainsaw, & generally sleeping peacefully behind a good solid tree, to protect himself from tractor attack most likely, like I said he warnt stupid!

A tidy, minimalist/light on the ground set up there you got  Rowan.

Marcus

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think half of arbtalk was there, we went on Friday and it was a good show. I didn't see any big developments on the processor side this time although we did buy another tajfun 480+. Hakki pilke look unchanged, posch had some interesting stuff and I didn't take a close look at palax.

21 minutes ago, gdh said:

I think half of arbtalk was there, we went on Friday and it was a good show. I didn't see any big developments on the processor side this time although we did buy another tajfun 480+. Hakki pilke look unchanged, posch had some interesting stuff and I didn't take a close look at palax.

Just missed you then. Spent 1 1/2 hours with Mark, Adrian at Kilworth and also the technician from the Tajfun factory. Waiting for the price now on my particular modified 480+. What do you think the depreciation would be on a 3 year old 480+ ?