what logs have you been chopping today!

william petts

• 2 weeks later...

Took last week off work, so in betwee  other tasks I have been working my way through a load of ash, beech and other bits of wood we've had lying in the yard for a couple of years, also worked on ringing up a large beech trunk we've had in a field for a year or so. Came up with the idea of using some of it as a nice bench for cutting up various other bits by nailing on two bits of leftover baton just before I finished cutting through it. The top is nice and big and slopes towards you, one of the attached stems provides a nice little table to sit the saw on the side.

20180807_173317.jpg

20180812_155619.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, briquette_seller said:

What model of Valtra are you running and do you like it?

T174 direct (vario). Got it last year, it's reverse drive to use the log trailer in the cab. It's gone well for us, very comfortable with plenty of power including with the spools. 

Had a few minor issues with the touchscreen but they're sorted. Personally I don't like the slight delay as it shifts into high range at 14+ mph but that's just because I'm used to the smoothness of Deutz.

Having the handbrake on the forward/reverse lever is a good feature and the touchscreen is the best layout I've seen and very useful. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gdh said:

T174 direct (vario). Got it last year, it's reverse drive to use the log trailer in the cab. It's gone well for us, very comfortable with plenty of power including with the spools. 

Had a few minor issues with the touchscreen but they're sorted. Personally I don't like the slight delay as it shifts into high range at 14+ mph but that's just because I'm used to the smoothness of Deutz.

Having the handbrake on the forward/reverse lever is a good feature and the touchscreen is the best layout I've seen and very useful. 

I bought a t234 active reverse drive a couple of years back.

The lag between switching boxes is a bad design, in my opinion, Iam sure they could of come up with something better. It takes a bit of getting used to. 

Brilliant tractor though 

9 hours ago, david wood said:

the valtra handbrake sure is nice isnt it!

what load weight does that trailer take?

we run a valtra A93 hi tech and definetly could use a lil more grunt on hills but they are nice on crane, lifts really well on idle with a junkari trailer/crane

It's a 14 ton trailer but it's rare to get more than 5 or 6 ton on with hardwood. Ours is averaging 7.5l an hour because it's mostly on idle with the crane.

3 hours ago, briquette_seller said:

I bought a t234 active reverse drive a couple of years back.

The lag between switching boxes is a bad design, in my opinion, Iam sure they could of come up with something better. It takes a bit of getting used to. 

Brilliant tractor though 

Yes, they told me it's the only way they could get it to pull so well but I'm not a fan. It can catch you out in auto c/d if it does it going up hill but I'm used to it now 

Another plus point is the steering lock is amazing, better than most small tractors. 

• Like 1