what logs have you been chopping today!

william petts

Cheers, needs a little more modification to improve it yet but it serves a purpose!

I like the log deck, is there anything stopping the two logs from sliding down past the log lifter at the same time ? if not you could look at mounting some log stops on pivots on the inner side of the rails which could be engaged / raised as the lift is lowered ? sort of like to hold the other back, i like the way you have it set up, what do you load the deck with ? and what size do you go 12 way or 8 way would be interested to know, cheers

16 hours ago, Bustergasket said:

I like the log deck, is there anything stopping the two logs from sliding down past the log lifter at the same time ? if not you could look at mounting some log stops on pivots on the inner side of the rails which could be engaged / raised as the lift is lowered ? sort of like to hold the other back, i like the way you have it set up, what do you load the deck with ? and what size do you go 12 way or 8 way would be interested to know, cheers

No, there isn't. Thats its flaw currently. Thats and excellent idea actually. Personally I'd rather have a hydraulic rotating piece at the bottom of each rail like most active decks have but that'll have to be a spring addition. I want to change the log lifter for the slightly better deck that @gdh has for his 480 with the 3 powered rollers. Ours with 2 is a pain, I'm forever having to go round the end and push logs off the passive rollers.

The deck is currently loaded with our mustang skid steer as its in the shed. Out next to the stack in dryer months i'll load with the 360 and grab. The straight ones roll a little too fast down the rails for my liking at the moment but we make do for now.

We only have the 8 way head as Kilworth didn't recommend the 12 way on the 400. It would probably manage with certain timbers but if you hit a knotty section mid log it would cause issues i think. I though about modifying an 8 way so the top half had an extra cutting edge for those big logs but for now It's no hassle to take a few bigger pieces off the top of the wedge and put them back through. Still makes decent logs.

No, there isn't. Thats its flaw currently. Thats and excellent idea actually. Personally I'd rather have a hydraulic rotating piece at the bottom of each rail like most active decks have but that'll have to be a spring addition. I want to change the log lifter for the slightly better deck that [mention=37957]gdh[/mention] has for his 480 with the 3 powered rollers. Ours with 2 is a pain, I'm forever having to go round the end and push logs off the passive rollers.

The deck is currently loaded with our mustang skid steer as its in the shed. Out next to the stack in dryer months i'll load with the 360 and grab. The straight ones roll a little too fast down the rails for my liking at the moment but we make do for now.

We only have the 8 way head as Kilworth didn't recommend the 12 way on the 400. It would probably manage with certain timbers but if you hit a knotty section mid log it would cause issues i think. I though about modifying an 8 way so the top half had an extra cutting edge for those big logs but for now It's no hassle to take a few bigger pieces off the top of the wedge and put them back through. Still makes decent logs.

Yes i saw gdh's log deck and it looks good i like the three powered rollers, i had the same issue having to keep pushing logs, you know i bet if you moved your furthest from processor powered roller upto the middle position of the deck it would transform it, moving that roller so it's about 1/2- 2/3 down the log means it drives it right into the processor, as it is the back roller leaves most the work to the front roller, i messed around and set my now single powered roller up like this and it's made a huge difference, i took the passive rollers off as i found they stopped the log contacting the driven ones, at the end of the day as long as the driven roller has about 2/3 of the length in front ( processor side) it won't tip back, and with no passive rollers it has no choice but to be engaged, i did a whole load without having to push one log, my old deck set up i would have been pushing what seemed like every third one, hope this helps and let us know how u get on?8fde80306b473ce8abde359213873a8a.jpg

Even with 3 rollers the lumps get stuck on ours although it is better than the 2 roller decks. I'm looking at sheeting in the gaps but it would have to be very strong and I'm not sure if it will lift the bendier logs off the rollers. Only one way to find out...

We had some horrible logs today, had to tidy it all up with a saw and to make it worse it was all to cut for 6inch. Does anyone else bother cutting very short stuff?

DSC_2265.JPG

DSC_2266.JPG

DSC_2261.JPG

• Like 1