what logs have you been chopping today!

william petts

We've managed to get a few special orders so we cut it into 18inch or 3ft lengths for them to use in biomass boilers. Also chip a lot of it.

I think the biggest set up cost most people don't take into account is buying the wood and having it stacked for a year. I know the 1200 ton here is making our overdraft look bad. ;-)

Other than that I reckon you could start up with a new top of the range processor but with used machinery for about 40k. All new with a timber trailer etc and you could easily hit 200k though just depends how big you want to go and how many years you want to go before you pay it all off.

Yea we started with a WP36, it would be ideal for small diameter stuff like on the picture.

You've got to take in to account that without spending a fortune on advertising your not going to be selling 1000+ cube in the first few years as well! With rent, paying yourself, finance costs ect ect ect with £100k worth of machinery you'll need another £100k over the first couple of years to pay for everything until you get the client base.

There's a farmer down the road from us that spent the best Part of £500k on a full firewood setup. 6 biomass boiler, diggers, trailers the lot. Kept saying he's selling loads and loads of firewood. Came to do a day splitting for us with his screw splitter and was gobsmacked that we sent 14 cube out in a day. Said "we don't manage that in a week" [emoji23] how he's paying his finance I never know!

How do you all deal with smaller diameter stuff if you get any?

We normally get 4-16" delivered but this load of thinnings was available.

95% won't be over 5" I guess and then maybe half of that won't even need splitting at all. If I could fully take out the splitter from the tajfun400 it'd be easy enough to do that way but I can't. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep as said a Farmi WP 36 would make short work of that. Lots of guys doing contract work with them so might be an option to get someone in for a day or two. Make sure they have a devise so you can send logs out unspilt.

Please elaborate, I'm sure the original poster will be pleased to hear your explanation. I will continue in my disillusioned state along with a lot of other people.

Just read my post and it should say coniferous evergreens not conifers or evergreens, sorry for any confusion. Holly is an evergreen and a hardwood of course but not coniferous.

Evergreen or deciduous has nothing to do with the hardwood/softwood classification.

As you mention, there's Holly but elsewhere in the world it gets more clear.

In the tropics, where the seasons work much different to our hot/cold ones deciduous trees are rare, and yet the tropical forests are (mainly? Ive seen some tropical forests and never a conifer in sight) evergreen.

Then there's conifers that lose their foliage, like larch or swamp Cypress.

What I meant to disagree with was the use of evergreen and decidous

Yep as said a Farmi WP 36 would make short work of that. Lots of guys doing contract work with them so might be an option to get someone in for a day or two. Make sure they have a devise so you can send logs out unspilt.

Why would it be faster than the tajfun aside from not needing to do a full saw cycle every cut perhaps? Does the v shape of the deck mean you can put multiple smaller pieces in at once?

Why would it be faster than the tajfun aside from not needing to do a full saw cycle every cut perhaps? Does the v shape of the deck mean you can put multiple smaller pieces in at once?

You can hand feed the wood forward and blade is hand operated so not limited by cycle time. I don't know the Tajfan first hand but I doubt it would be better for wood of that size. Mortimer Firewood on here said he wished he had kept his Farmi for smaller wood and think he had a Tajfan. I have tried multiples but not recommended as you end with spinners :thumbdown:

You can hand feed the wood forward and blade is hand operated so not limited by cycle time. I don't know the Tajfan first hand but I doubt it would be better for wood of that size. Mortimer Firewood on here said he wished he had kept his Farmi for smaller wood and think he had a Tajfan. I have tried multiples but not recommended as you end with spinners :thumbdown:

Agreed. Obviously the tajfuns are much faster overall but manual controls are faster on small stuff. With our old hakki pilke you could slam the chainsaw down to the log and just slow down for the actual cut.

We tried cutting multiple logs with the tajfun 480 which is really fast when it works with dead straight timber but isn't really practical as you get them spin round the bar or the conveyor just moves the bottom ones as soon as you have a slight kink in any of them.

For the sake of efficiency the first thing we did when we switched to joystick controls was stop cutting most stuff under 6 inch.

Hand feed is doable on the 400 I've found, (until the last 18" anyway) it's just then having to hand ball all the sticks out of the splitting chamber wastes the time you just saved not using the conveyor to feed it!

I think 3's should work as long as the Log holder gets tight hold if the top one. They're all pretty straight by the looks of them.

Perhaps a circular saw bench would be faster especially if you could position it to drop the logs onto the conveyor anyway.

Aside from that it's grab them in a bunch with the 360 and run the chainsaw through the whole bunch in one go? Means picking them up to tip into IBC's with the skid steer after though or again holding over the processor conveyor perhaps.

I'll time the different methods I think and post my findings!