what logs have you been chopping today!

william petts

Out of curiosity, how much will the major lift? Will it move the machine? We use an old massey 35x on ours but it only drags it around on concrete.

We've been pretty slow on the wood recently although we did split some oak to make a garden fence and I've been busy stocking up and chipping softwood.

How did you split them mate? Looks smart

Thanks, ste

I have looked into various options to speed up/ make more efficient, but ......

What do i do with the machinery for the other ten months of the year.

Cost, unless i quadruple my output it is not financially viable.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Arbtalk mobile app

Because I do my wood in my spare time , I intend to become as efficient as is financially viable for me because time becomes more important than money !

Probably the wrong way of looking at it , kind of arse about face , but I have 6 Grandchildren prowling and wish to spend some time irritating them.

sent from my phone but never in work time.

I'm not sure how much the major will lift but it lifts and moves the processor around with out a problem and that weighs around 1 tonne we've got a Massey 178 and that will just about lift the processor of the ground. The biggest problem I have is when I go out contracting with the processor I take it on one of the 200hp new hollands tractor and you have to lift the processor up and then fold the conveyor around over the top of the mudguards up the side of the cab what isnot the handiest.

200hp guzzling deisel on a job that wants maybe 70 hp is not exactly easy on the pocket either. Bet it goes through 20 gallons a day.

A

200hp guzzling deisel on a job that wants maybe 70 hp is not exactly easy on the pocket either. Bet it goes through 20 gallons a day.

A

I use the 200hp tractor as its quick on the road for transport and it has front linkage so I take a hydraulic splitter on the front as well. I use the tractor on 1000 pto speed so the tractor is just above tick over when working I did an 8 hour day cutting and 1 hours travelling and the tractor went through just under 10 gallons, if I didn't use a 1000 speed pto you would probably be right with the 20 gallons on 540 pto, either way not as economical as the little major :001_smile:

How did you split them mate? Looks smart

Thanks, ste

Thanks it was a one off for a friend but we're quite pleased with it. We've got an old posche splitter we use for fencing stakes, it does 7ft lengths by having 2 rams to double its length.

There's a video here,apologies it's on Facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=339701389765935&id=260687344334007

In regards to using 200hp tractors it's surprising how little fuel they use, we occasionally use ours for contacting and they'll run the processor just above idle with 1000/1000economic pto. I haven't measured it running on ours but it idles at 0.7 gallons an hour so it's hardly any more than our 50 year old massey.

Obviously the depreciation of £12 an hour is the reason it only gets used when needed. :;)

Thanks it was a one off for a friend but we're quite pleased with it. We've got an old posche splitter we use for fencing stakes, it does 7ft lengths by having 2 rams to double its length.

There's a video here,apologies it's on Facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=339701389765935&id=260687344334007

In regards to using 200hp tractors it's surprising how little fuel they use, we occasionally use ours for contacting and they'll run the processor just above idle with 1000/1000economic pto. I haven't measured it running on ours but it idles at 0.7 gallons an hour so it's hardly any more than our 50 year old massey.

Obviously the depreciation of £12 an hour is the reason it only gets used when needed. :;)

I like that splitter, but could you not get a better working height?

My back is aching just watching it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Arbtalk mobile app