Small scale hydropower scheme's.

timberbear

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main reason is power for nothing, the idea is when I retire it's one less thin to pay for, the feed in tariff is a bonus, the other option is to sell surplus directly to local farms.

dont think its as simple as that what will you do with the electric it is producing in the middle of the night and who is going to supply you or the local farmers when there is a drought or a spell of hard frost

I have looked into this in some depth for the estate here and it far better to sell everything you produce to the grid and buy back what you use yourself

think you may have missed the boat a bit as the pay in tariffs for new schemes has been reduced dramatically

So what happens when it runs out?

Does it still feed in to the grid and not get paid for so to speak?

I think the risk would be that when the Feed in Tariff finishes that the National Grid would not be bothered dealing with small electricity producers.... As it is presently the government forces electricity companies to buy electricity from people with solar panels on their roof etc.

Having said that, if you had your own hydro scheme you could always use the electricity yourself.

[ATTACH]197607[/ATTACH][ATTACH]197608[/ATTACH][ATTACH]197609[/ATTACH]

So my plan would be to either install a penstock at the main flow in picture one or take a flow from the old mill pond (pic 2 & 3) down to a turbine house lower down the stream. As you can see the old dam would need re engineering at some considerable costs. One of my main concerns is the environmental impact on the surrounding areas as tracks would have to be laid to get the machinery on site.

Tbh, I don't think it would cost that much to fix that dam? If you got a decent size excavator (say about 13 tonne) in for a couple of days he could use material from site to fix the dam wall and clean out all the reeds etc (to make more space for water). An excavator plus driver should be circa £500 a day.

What machinery would they need to get there? I'd imagine most of the stuff could be carried by a tractor or JCB? I don't think you would need tracks?

As a matter of interest, what flow rate and head have you assumed?

I'd agree with the above, most machinery needed would be fairly capable off road and bar pipes not a lot else u need.

After 1 summer u'd be lucky to notice the pipe tracks

If ur damming/redamming the ones i've seen were designed if a drought to run dry at something like 10% of average flow so burn would still flow

Hi rich, there's a video knocking about on YouTube of the new hydro system that was installed on the Taff at radyr weir that was interesting to watch.

John from orange.

That's scheme I've been involved in! I'm responsible for all the tree management around the development and unfortunately was responsible for felling all the trees that had to go! ImageUploadedByArbtalk1453967888.341922.jpg.2d29255fc06e34367ed3c9d4fbd10ad5.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1453967867.004101.jpg.7c426295eef11f21cacfc61e2731cb99.jpg

Hi rich, there's a video knocking about on YouTube of the new hydro system that was installed on the Taff at radyr weir that was interesting to watch.

John from orange.

Hi John just noticed the "john from Orange"! How's tricks. I put a time lapse camera up which has captured three months of building! I'll try and get it on line!

dont think its as simple as that what will you do with the electric it is producing in the middle of the night and who is going to supply you or the local farmers when there is a drought or a spell of hard frost

I have looked into this in some depth for the estate here and it far better to sell everything you produce to the grid and buy back what you use yourself

think you may have missed the boat a bit as the pay in tariffs for new schemes has been reduced

dramatically

I might have to look at dumping the load if need be. It's about trying to self sufficient in certain things, ie no water rates or lecky bills, or at least cost neutral lecky bills! With the development of new load holding batteries combined with a back up generator I'm sure I'll have the power I need it's only a small cottage. You raise a valid point about frost!!!!!

How long do the systems last ?

Is it something that will last forever with maintenance ?

I've bought a property that had a 25kW system installed in 1986. That was installed before Feed in Tariffs and was earning the owners about £9000 a year. From 2005-2010 the turbine became less reliable and in 2012 it was switched off. (Although the generator is absolutely fine). A new 100kW system was installed to replace the old one but a private company installed it and pays us a great rent.

So... we've now got a 100kW hydro unit, 4kW solar panel array and solar thermal for the hot water (in summer!): feels a bit greedy having them all!

Feed-in-Tariffs run for 20 years from the date that the system is installed/starts producing (can't remember which one is the precise date). You also get paid for any electricity that you export to the grid (for larger schemes this is 3.3p/kWh). The comparison is that FIT is aprox. 30p/kWh and the electricity payment only 3.3p/kWh.

Once the Feed in Tariff period (20 years) has ended then you will still be paid for all the electricity that you produce; however, your payments will drop by 90%.

The Micro Hydro Association will answer all of the questions you can ever dream of: Micro Hydro Association - Micro Hydro Association

Edited by ccharlie