Help with Greenmech CS100 issue

Nemo

Hi guys,

Got me a cs100 a few months ago - used it maybe 6 times - I'm very impressed with its capabilities but now I'm having a few issues with it cutting out. It's an older 14hp model with pull start it starts, runs & chips great (its barely been used by previous owners) but after a while it starts to die as if it's running out of fuel. So I fill it up but it still does it. So I think it's dirty or dead fuel so I drained & flushed the tank. It ran o.k for a while but now it's doing it again - I noticed that it when it's sputtering before dying & I tip it backwards with the handles it revs back up again but that only works for a few mins. So I thought it was maybe a low oil level switch so I filled the oil up but the problem persists - it may still be an oil issue as I can't seem to get a clear reading on the dip stick - the oil gets coated on inside of dipstick tube & fouls the true mark of the oil making it difficult to measure.

Long story over - is there anything anybody can suggest that might be causing this? Am I missing something obvious? Are these machines particularly proned to any issue like this? My next step will be to take the tank off & blow out all the pipes but the revving back up when tipped is telling me that it's an oil level switch but I'm not even sure whether these engines have them. It's a briggs & Stratton vangard that's on it.

Any help would be much appreciated guys - I am competant at most simple mechanics but I'm not experienced at diagnosing problems on any petrol engine of this size.

I found the choke on mine vibrates out and cuts the engine off, i had to put a bungee cord around the engine to hold the choke in the off position when chipping. So check that, as if you are tipping the engine back it may be putting the choke off and allowing the engine to run again. If you can't get to the problem, phone greenmech.

edit.. Pete swooped in like a superhero there with a big G on his chest :biggrin:

Edited by Robert_S

I found the choke on mine vibrates out and cuts the engine off, i had to put a bungee cord around the engine to hold the choke in the off position when chipping. So check that, as if you are tipping the engine back it may be putting the choke off and allowing the engine to run again. If you can't get to the problem, phone greenmech.

edit.. Pete swooped in like a superhero there with a big G on his chest :biggrin:

Had the exact same thing on that type of engine on a timberwolf with the same solution so well worth checking as its a £1 fix!

I did notice the little ring pull choke was a few mm proud a couple of times & pushed it back in but the symptoms happened so soon again after that I had dismissed it. I'll definitely try the bungee solution but I fear I may have to take the take off the tank & clean the fuel system anyway as I had a torch in the tank yesterday & there does seem to be some crud in the bottom.

I phoned greenmech but they said I should call Briggs & Stratton. I think I'll have to get my hands on an engine manual rather that the cs100 one.

Thanks for the suggestions guys - much appreciated - I'll update the thread when there's progress.

A couple of years back my old Entec, which uses an 18hp Briggs engine, had the same issue. That turned out to be a cracked fuel line sucking air. Once replaced it worked perfectly again.

Replace the pipes and give the carb a service whilst you're at it.:thumbup1:

I've asked a few 'experts' engine friends of mine, all very familiar with the vanguard engine.

The general consensus was that the choke was being vibrated to the fully out position. There is a small but on the underside of the choke which can be tightened up to prevent this happening.

I had this problem when I fired my cs100 the other day, and the issue happened a few times in rapid succession.