357 hard to turn over

rem284

about 3 weeks ago I used my 357 without any problems. I tried to start it this week but found it difficult to pull start. I removed the starting mechanism and it is ok and moving freely as it should. I put it back on and the problem remains. Any ideas on what to try next?

about 3 weeks ago I used my 357 without any problems. I tried to start it this week but found it difficult to pull start. I removed the starting mechanism and it is ok and moving freely as it should. I put it back on and the problem remains. Any ideas on what to try next?

Remove the exhaust and look down the port to check for scoring on the piston.

These are vertical lines scored into the metal of the piston. You should be able to feel them with a fingertip.

Could be a number of things, ranging from simple to drastic, i feel you need to get this checked out before starting it, it may simply be the oil film on the cylinder is a little sticky, or it could be a main bearing breaking up, if it is starting it will cause further damage.

What is freely moving? The flywheel or the starting pulley?

If it is the starter pulley then the side cover should be rested in place and the recoil pulled over so it sits in the correct place flush with its surroundings.

With most Huskys, you have to engage the pulley with the pawls on the flywheel.

If this is not the case, remove the muffler and look at the condition of the piston through the exhaust port and make sure it isn't seized.

If that is OK then check the flywheel isn't fouling on shyte around the coil.

Other than that, take off the side cover and rotate the flywheel round and see if there is free rotation of the saw or is that what you have done already??

Just the starter pulley is moving freely, havnt tried owt else. Didnt see much shyte near the flywheel.

Then turn the flywheel slowly with your fingertips taking in if it is tight all the way round, if it is notchy, jams or tight in one area etc.

May have seized or some of the other things mentioned earlier, it may be that the carb has leaked and put loads of fuel in to the crankcase but lets do the above and go from there.

Lots of experience on here!

not doubting spud in anyway but could also be sawdust in your rim sprocket/clutch/brake band area,if used in the wet could be clutch bearing gone a bit rusty and combined with the sawdust could be causing the problem, ive had this a few times

not doubting spud in anyway but could also be sawdust in your rim sprocket/clutch/brake band area,if used in the wet could be clutch bearing gone a bit rusty and combined with the sawdust could be causing the problem, ive had this a few times

Before I opened this thread all I was on my phone was: "it could be sawdust in your rim..."

Choked on my beer!