post knockers

The Bryce is awesome, but expensive and heavy. So you'll need a tractor to tow it around... Sort of defects the object. I've heard bad things about him too, but never met him.

Never tried a vector.

I know a lot of the top companies use the Protech machine. Supposed to be really good and you can just about tow it legally.

I'd have to counter this, met him twice, spoken to him several times. Top chap to deal with, any service issues dealt with promptly. Yes I do own a Bryce machine and very happy with it. If I had to buy a knocker again, very likely to be a Bryce again.

Not wanting to make this a debate. But the anti Bryce thing seems a reoccurring theme on forums. Can only speak of my own experience.

I've never had the pleasure to use a tracked machine, I cannot currently justify the outlay. The agility and ease of use are key advantages. I don't think you can use them to pull a net tight like a tractor, hence seldom fitted with a pro fencer or quick fencer. I maybe wrong.

I have seen protech and vector machines for sale more often on the secondhand market.

Edited by Steve Bullman

For putting in fences for myself/other people i have been using a rear mouted vector, (rear hammer). Good build quality and a simple machine. At the end of the month I'm taking delivery of a new Bryce machine, Tractor mounted but side hammer, unable to remember the type (it's not a sumo) but it's very well specced! Quad movement shift, rock spike, counter weight etc. Very very well engineered.

It depends what you're looking for really, and your scale plus your budget. If it's for yourself and won't be getting a massive deal of use, you might be better with the more basic model of either make. But on the other hand if you're planning on doing some contract work, a better spec'd model will be more beneficial due to A: being faster and B: more suited to varying ground types.

Another great thing about the bryce's is the value they hold.... I was menaing to attend a farm sale that had a sumo in it, it made 6800 and Mr Bryce told me that machine was around 8 years old and cost around 8000(ish) new! That's not alot of money depreciated in 8 years...

In regard to the comments about Mr Bryce's friendliness, from myself going to this yard, spending a couple hours being shown the implements i can safely say he is a very genuine man!

I met Mr bryce last year at a machinery show and found him to be a very helpful chap with my queries, he didn't try to deal with me and move on like some reps can do, he chatted away and made sure I had my answers before I left even with people waiting to see him after me. Can't help but feel that certain people may have exaggerated or even fabricated things about Mr bryce!!

hi decided to go for a vector powerdrive 4 tons 1 man fencing machine got every thing on there . a few of the other manufacturers use canycom bases I went for a moorooka with kubouta 4 cylinder I have been told they are the tops as a friend of mine got a hire company and he hires them out to be abused he has little problems with them thanks philip

Philip I think you started a similar thread quite a while ago. Did you purchase at that time or has this been an ongoing business decision?

In intrigued as it often takes me years to achieve the upgrade is like or the equipment I want.

Hope the new machine is to your liking, keep us posted.