Another beginner chainsaw thread

Simonhi

The saw choice is vast, I'm an Echo fan, after using the big H and S, dolmar are lovely saws to use too.

I agree about using Aspen 2, it has a 5 year shelf life, and is perfect for part time use, and has no benzene, a nasty chemical.

It is expensive, but you won't be throwing any away sour.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

The 550 is a good saw but has some complicated electronics if it goes wrong, what you probably need is something tried & tested that dosnt need attachment to a laptop.

These are the ones Id look consider are:

42cc - Dolmar 420SC

50cc - Dolmar 115 which Shavey says is still available!

60cc - Echo 620sx

70cc - Husqvarna 365xt

The Dolmar 420 is an absolutely cracking saw & very reasonably priced & may be just the ticket.

What ever you get run it on Aspen then you wont have to worry about fuel going off etc.

N

115i I have …420 is on the list to try out once i can shift some Stihls . I believe the 420 is a personal fav of yours then ? cant think why :biggrin:

I've had a Dolmar 6100 on demo for a while now, I have to say it's a very good saw if you're looking for one saw to do everything, will run a variety of bars and plenty of power.

I like the 560, nice saw to use, but in fairness at the moment I'm picking up the Dolly more than the Husky.

PM Shavey on here for more info on the Dolmar.

We're talking power tools here, you can never be overpowered :biggrin:

Too true.

A year ago when I was renovating my house prior to moving in I had to redo all the ceilings, in the region of 70 sheets of plaster boards high was screwed to counter batten 2 x 1 and in filled with celotex insulation.

I bought an 18V impact driver predominantly for the plaster boards screws :lol:

I did however find the power of the driver useful when I relaid all the flooring and laid a new oak floor over the top.

I doubt I will ever need to buy another screw driver, until DeWalt change the batteries again !!!

Is there much between the 550 and 560 saws ?

550 is for felling small stuff and limbing , would not want to work with timber over 9" all day on this saw.

The 560 is for medium sized timber but will not struggle at all with any thing you throw at it... If it was a logging saw and a husky your after I would go with a 365 still a pro saw and not as highly strung as the xp range but will carry a 20" bar with ease and plenty of torque for logging.

115i I have …420 is on the list to try out once i can shift some Stihls . I believe the 420 is a personal fav of yours then ? cant think why :biggrin:

Hi, I have an MS250 which is fine but it dosnt seem made to last & there are certain things that are annoying about it. That 115 sounds good but I have a 346xp perhaps itll be around when that goes...

The 420 is a similar sized saw that is beautifully engineered & cuts very well for its size with no daft gimmicks - my Echo620sx friend has one in his collection #Envy

N

Edited by NFG