Fordson Major winch

rgeparker

Hi Rob

I would go for a manual operated three point linkage winch something like a fransguard or igland 5 to 6 ton range, about 10 to 20 year old that you can pick up from ebay etc for £ 1500 to £ 2000 mark, simple to mend and pay for, modern winches aren't compatible with an old major due to electrics needed to operate the controls , plus you will need a dry cab to put the digital module in, plus with three point linkage you can take the winch off and use the tractor for something else.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a fransguard 4ton on the back of mine and I've also got a boughton I would say the boughton is more for big pulls the fransguard is quicker for smaller stuff plus the rope is lighter than the boughton, only thing with the major unless you got a raised pto you have to have pto engaged to work hydraulics so just watch shaft going to winch when you picking arms up plus probably more wear on winch with pto running more, I find 4ton pull plenty behind major:001_smile:

Thanks for the replies guys! Sounds like something modern in the 4-5 tonne capacity range should be compatible then.

Difflock & Luftwaffe- as much as I'd like the electro-hydraulic models, I think they'll be way out of my budget, hence why I was looking at the smaller Uniforest models such as the 35M, 40E etc, as they're all manual control, and no electrics etc.

Woodcutter3- thanks, some good points there. Having to have the PTO engaged to work the hydraulics is a bit annoying at times, but something I'll have to put up with until the day I can afford a bigger 100HP 4WD tractor! Out of interest, do you have any pictures of your Major/winches set up?

Thanks. Rob

Cant imagine owt bigger than 5.0 tonne line capacity makes sense.

I would certainly recommend an electro hydraulic Uniforest/Krpan winch, hard to beat being able to stand aside to get a good view and safely control the winch with a push of ones thumb, plus speeds up the "drop and drag" skidding system, i.e. easier control from the drivers seat.

and a 2WD 50HP tractor will be limited in its ground crossing capabilities, therefore a bigger winch is not needed/only overload the back end with unnecessary dead weight.

I would see no point in a "Period" winch, just for the sake of appearances.

regards

M

Hi mate we had a 5:5ton winch on 50hp tractor thanks Jon

There she is

Thanks for sharing this. Looks just like the setup I have been thinking of. Very tidy looking tractor too! New Performance Super Major? Did you do the restoration yourself?

Hi mate we had a 5:5ton winch on 50hp tractor thanks Jon

Hi John. Was it an old Major that you were running that winch on, or different? Guessing most makes of older 2WD tractors in the 50hp range would handle winches in the same way?

Thanks for sharing this. Looks just like the setup I have been thinking of. Very tidy looking tractor too! New Performance Super Major? Did you do the restoration yourself?

Hi John. Was it an old Major that you were running that winch on, or different? Guessing most makes of older 2WD tractors in the 50hp range would handle winches in the same way?

Hi mate yes it was old major good old thing we had 250kgs weight frame on front help keep the front all you need to do is make sure the winch butt plate is well into the ground before pulling and do not pull out of line thanks Jon