Fordson Major winch

rgeparker

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the winch rope is spooled to run under the drum through the spades it will pull the tractor into the ground. If the rope is spooled to come over the top of the drum and spades the tractor will flip.

Bob

image.jpg11_zpsdz9icsqz.jpg

image.jpg10_zpsx1as3mii.jpg

Edited by aspenarb

Hi ROB just make metal butt plate into the ground well ROB the newer winch are safer then the old winch as with some old ones your seat on tractor thanks Jon

Yeah, the newer type winches certainly LOOK safer to me, especially as you're able to position yourself away from the tractor.

If the winch rope is spooled to run under the drum through the spades it will pull the tractor into the ground. If the rope is spooled to come over the top of the drum and spades the tractor will flip.

Thanks Bob. That does make sense now you mention it. I don't have any experience using the older type winches, such as the one in your picture? Although my tractor looks a very similar age and size to yours (Nuffield?)..

With the newer type winches, I guess you don't need to worry about which way the rope is spooled, as they generally just have a straight butt plate that the weight is transferred onto? Unlike the older types with the spades? As a relatively inexperienced winch operator, I think I'd rather go for something that is somewhat foolproof, to minimise potential hazards. I appreciate that any type of winch used incorrectly can be deadly, hence why I'm doing as much research into the best combination for my tractor.

Cheers. Rob

Yeah, the newer type winches certainly LOOK safer to me, especially as you're able to position yourself away from the tractor.

Thanks Bob. That does make sense now you mention it. I don't have any experience using the older type winches, such as the one in your picture? Although my tractor looks a very similar age and size to yours (Nuffield?)..

With the newer type winches, I guess you don't need to worry about which way the rope is spooled, as they generally just have a straight butt plate that the weight is transferred onto? Unlike the older types with the spades? As a relatively inexperienced winch operator, I think I'd rather go for something that is somewhat foolproof, to minimise potential hazards. I appreciate that any type of winch used incorrectly can be deadly, hence why I'm doing as much research into the best combination for my tractor.

Cheers. Rob

Hi ROB your right I no people with old winches and they do a good job but you have to no what your doing with of them but new winches are safer thanks jonn

Hi Bob. Yes, the old Boughtons look like great bits of kit, but like you say, finding one might be an issue. Plus, I think I prefer the idea of the more modern designs that are typically offered nowadays. Thanks. Rob

Boughton or preferably Cooks (with the open gears) suit the age of the tractor.

Lack of safety features like deadman's handle make them inappropriate for modern use.

The size of winch depends on whether you intend to use it to gather sticks up to the tractor and then skid them or to winch in, pay out and winch in again (which was the traditional method for big timber)

Boughton or preferably Cooks (with the open gears) suit the age of the tractor.

Lack of safety features like deadman's handle make them inappropriate for modern use.

The size of winch depends on whether you intend to use it to gather sticks up to the tractor and then skid them or to winch in, pay out and winch in again (which was the traditional method for big timber)

Hi Openspaceman. Yes, I agree the Boughton/cooks would suit the age of the tractor, and I have seen many pictures of these types of set ups, which I'm sure work very well. But as you mention, lack of safety features etc draw me more towards the more modern equipment.

As mentioned, the winch will be predominantly used for assisted directional felling. As far as skidding goes, I'd most likely use the traditional method as you suggest (winch in, pay out, then winch in again). How does this affect the winch size?

Many thanks. Rob

Cant imagine owt bigger than 5.0 tonne line capacity makes sense.

I would certainly recommend an electro hydraulic Uniforest/Krpan winch, hard to beat being able to stand aside to get a good view and safely control the winch with a push of ones thumb, plus speeds up the "drop and drag" skidding system, i.e. easier control from the drivers seat.

and a 2WD 50HP tractor will be limited in its ground crossing capabilities, therefore a bigger winch is not needed/only overload the back end with unnecessary dead weight.

I would see no point in a "Period" winch, just for the sake of appearances.

regards

M