Branch logger

lilleylogging

Im not convinced the material is too small.

I'm hoping to order one ( I have placed an order for an urban tr75 today but yet to hear back).

My aim is to have smaller stuff for our own fire, as most of my logs need something smaller to go with it.

I plan on selling this stuff by the trailer 10x3x6 or bulk bag (we have 70 acres of forestry at first thin and then tree surgery waste); but have as others say a crows nest; but where its feasible, Im hoping to segregate branches whereby I will end up with small kindling or small logs.

Considering what we put through the chipper on lots of jobs, any recovery out of this will be a great bonus. Reducing what we have to haul away. Don't know if I can charge extra for it, I'll certainly try.

I will certainly post pics of how I get on. Delivery wont be until mid feb.

We have just ordered a SM 70 because of your faith in the machines! So I will come after you if it does not work out!

I thought that I would make use of the bagger where possible and try and drum up some local trade but failing that we have a Clearrview 500 in the office. I only go in for a short time so I want something to heat the room up fairly quickly and judging by the sample that Welmec gave us this would be perfect for that job.

I saw the tractor PTO driven version first and I thought that the machine looked a bit fierce, running at a high speed and the 10hp petrol would be more gentle as well as economical.

I did not opt for a road transport kit as I thought I would take the machine in the large Matbro grain bucket down to the woods and just let the loggings fall into the bucket. When there was a load just tip in into a ton box on the flatbed. This is if I found it too onerous to sort out the bag filling on my own.

Would be interested to see how you find the best way of using yours.

I was wondering if the branch logged material might be a viable alternative to charcoal on a Summer BBQ.

But the main thing we will feel good about is actually using the material that would otherwise be chipped, burnt in the wood or left to rot., as you have said.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the net bags really help the drying process. I chop mainly hybrid willow and if I chopped it into a trailer or 'bin' it would suffer mould, might not be the case with other species however - oak does not seem to be as bad mould wise in fact.

The logs tend to flame too much to be used as BBQ fuel but work great in a pizza/bread oven. They would charcoal down a treat in a retort, something I want to make but there are just too many projects on the go...

I found the net bags really help the drying process. I chop mainly hybrid willow and if I chopped it into a trailer or 'bin' it would suffer mould, might not be the case with other species however - oak does not seem to be as bad mould wise in fact.

The logs tend to flame too much to be used as BBQ fuel but work great in a pizza/bread oven. They would charcoal down a treat in a retort, something I want to make but there are just too many projects on the go...

Useful snippets of information thank you, keep 'em coming!

I adjusted mine to a blade edge clearance of about 0.5 mm and not touched since. Cutting willow and ash, some oak, no blade wear at all, obviously all green wood. I would wait and see how you get on before buying spare blades.

The blades don't so much as cut, it's closer to a shear action bit like an anvil secateurs hence the bits get thrown out. The thickness of the blades means they cut to begin with then as they squeeze together the bigger bits rupture apart and the chunks fly out. Hence the need for big shaft bearings!! It's quiet impressive really

Woodworks and other users, do the blades on the 70 take much maintenance with sharpening, adjusting etc and would you advise buying a spare set with the machine or not necessary?

Not yet had to adjust or sharpen. We tend to chunk up freshly cut stuff which is very easy on the machine. A full size seasoned branch really can make it rattle.