Anyone ever tried mountaineering boots for tree climbing?

samiad

Im thinking about trying mountaineering boots out for tree climbing and light pruning work. They have rigid soles just like tree boots but are lighter.Im mostly just pottering about doing small ish stuff in gardens so dont see myself crushing toes carrying big lumps around. Has anyone ever tried it?

I climb in what I have on at the time, usually a pair of running shoes...

I recon a pair of boots might be just a bit to clumsy for my liking..

And its not like like I climb anything bigger than a house, thats my rule of thumb, bigger than a house, get a professional in..

Im thinking about trying mountaineering boots out for tree climbing and light pruning work. They have rigid soles just like tree boots but are lighter.Im mostly just pottering about doing small ish stuff in gardens so dont see myself crushing toes carrying big lumps around. Has anyone ever tried it?

Yes mate...great pair of AKU fab for climbing...and toetecter as well.

I drop my Honda pro on my toes the one day in the Sumner wearing non protected toes .........never again ,you can break your toes on just about anything.

Don't take the risk .

Ste

I use my winter climbing boots because I like the shank in them when on spikes, could stand on spikes all day because of the rigidity in the sole. Not a full shank though. A 3/4 is about right.

But be careful, what you're giving up is chainsaw and toe protection. Unless you take them off and put on chainsaw boots when you get back on the ground you're at risk and will be failing the PPE Regs, so invalidatng your EL or personal injury insurance. Steelys have saved my toes more than once, including a bizarre accident when I managed to hit the toecap with a running MS200T.

I just saw these Arbortec Scafell Lite Chainsaw Boots - Black they tick every box and are at the same price level as some of the mountaineering boots recommended by others here with none of the drawbacks. Plus they are I think VAT-free because they are safety kit. My current boots are getting pretty worn, so I think I'll treat myself at the end of the tax year. Anyone tried them?

I use my winter climbing boots because I like the shank in them when on spikes, could stand on spikes all day because of the rigidity in the sole. Not a full shank though. A 3/4 is about right.

But be careful, what you're giving up is chainsaw and toe protection. Unless you take them off and put on chainsaw boots when you get back on the ground you're at risk and will be failing the PPE Regs, so invalidatng your EL or personal injury insurance. Steelys have saved my toes more than once, including a bizarre accident when I managed to hit the toecap with a running MS200T.

I just saw these Arbortec Scafell Lite Chainsaw Boots - Black they tick every box and are at the same price level as some of the mountaineering boots recommended by others here with none of the drawbacks. Plus they are I think VAT-free because they are safety kit. My current boots are getting pretty worn, so I think I'll treat myself at the end of the tax year. Anyone tried them?

Nice one, tried them but the toe cap gets my toes a bit. Ended up with meindl airstreams but will try some of these recommendations on. Ive had an injured knee for a year and am convinved big heavy boots with supported ankles put more strain on my knee. Since xmas ive been wearing old walkinh boots (brashers) and knee is well on the mend.