laptops/tablets.

pete23

Ok just wondered. Not many people realize that you can share your network from your phone and log into it from a laptop to access the internet, could save you a bit of cash

Using your phone as a hotspot I think it's termed. I did it when I was admitted last month but it caned my data allowance. I got a PAYG dongle from O2, preloaded with 1G for £25-30 for thirty days. Topping up 1G for £10, alternative was a two year contract. I means to an end as I should only need it for a few months.

Sorry to derail

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always new it as wireless tethering. And yes you need a god data package. Unlimited is best but should still be cheaper.

The advantage of a dongle is they can take an external antenna and in places of low reception will perform better. All depends where you are.

Ref: "God data package" .....does it ever lose connection? :lol:

I have an Ipad with separate keyboard. I also purchased a new computer a few months ago. The computer is Microsoft and instead of getting word etc, I got the Office 365 for businesses. It allows me to link my emails up, and I can download word to the Ipad and another computer. You can also log onto your account through the internet. I find this useful as I can go out on site with the ipad, use the hotspot on my phone to then upload the information to the Office account and then work on the main computer when at home. I have used the ipad for word document's and it'll do most jobs but some of the finer details is better on the main computer.

Hi,

Incidentally, if you go Mac based then Sophos Antivirus for Mac is free, which I think also includes iPads? If you want more than just AV theres a comercial grade security package called Sophos Home which is free as well.

Not that you will find many, but it provides re-assurance from one of the leading AV vendors - I have discovered a few oninfected USB sticks from PC using friends - always a surprise when the Sophos screen pops up on connection!

I have no connection with Sophos but have a reasonable knowledge acquired through my previous work as a systems admin & network manager.

N

prob been done to death.

my laptop is forever doing updates and is very slow, believe this is because I only have a dongle for internet use (the joys of boat life).

any way my wife has a ipad that works perfect all the time on our set up where the laptop is cr*p.

is theres any laptop out there that doesn't need updates like a ipad does?

my knowledge of computers and such is zilch.

thinking of getting a ipad meself as its so good, is there any other type pad thing that you would recommend??

thankyou, pete.

Try CCleaner. It cleans out all the temporary files on your PC and can speed up your computer quite a bit. If it removes a lot of stuff, you should also defrag your memory. Just type "defrag" in the start menu and it should be easy to figure out from there. All software needs to be updated.

CCLeaner Download

You can use the "Tools" option in CCleaner to decide which programs start automatically and run in the background on startup. If you've had the computer a while, you'll be surprised how many of these can be running in the background and slowing your boot-up, and hogging the available RAM when running, slowing you down.

Just get a quad core Android tablet if you are doing general surfing - it will be a bit like a big smartphone if that is what you want. I don't understand the BIG Apple thing, it has a little kings clothes about it to me - too expensive and Android is a free reliable platform!

Plus one. Apple kit is shiny, and does the basics well - but I find it infuriating to do certain things that Windows / Linux / Android do immediately out of the box. (For example, sorting images by date / name - I believe you can get an app to do this, but why on earth should I? I'll decide how to organise my files thanks, not Apple). It's also very over priced for the spec of the underlying hardware.

My dad moved from a PC to a Mac laptop, and hates it, finds it very unintuitive.

I prefer an iPhone to Android (currently using Android phone) but or a tablet I would go Windows or Android. We've got an iPad and yes it's great for sitting on the sofa browsing around but I find too many limitations and buggy browsers. Lack of mouse support is infuriating sometimes. Makes it a 'leisure device' in my eyes, not a serious tool for what I need at least. My next move is to a Windows Surface Tablet. A tablet when you want to sit in bed but you can get the full keyboard case and use a bluetooth mouse and it's a full Windows 10 PC. Sounds ideal to me.