Pics of your milled products

Andy Collins

14 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

This is one of the guys I send my slabs to.
IMG_7634.jpgIMG_7638.jpgIMG_7639.jpgIMG_7654.jpgIMG_7656.jpgIMG_7644.jpgIMG_7647.jpg

Now who can spot the monkey puzzle?
emoji106.png

You want to watch it as you may find other folk may start sending their slabs to him as well ?

Great to see a shop/workshop specializing in rustic stuff - we need these out there x1000 and it would then generate the market for waney edged wood from small suppliers.

• Like 1

You want to watch it as you may find other folk may start sending their slabs to him as well [emoji23]

Great to see a shop/workshop specializing in rustic stuff - we need these out there x1000 and it would then generate the market for waney edged wood from small suppliers.

I encourage the competition.
So much of our native, local hardwood goes to chip. It's wrong.
But to change a proportion of the public to understand will be a slow education.
If the major manufacturers realise there is a growing demand/market for locally sourced/eco friendly/responsibly sourced wood, they would be interested.
With the growing concern over de-forestation and climate change, locally sourced hardwoods will be favoured hopefully.

I can see a market for "fair trade"
UK timber.
A fixed market price like coffee for the producer.
You'd need a long list of local sawmillers though. [emoji848]
  • Like 2

Well said - I have always thought there is no shortage of mobile sawmillers producing timber - there is no shortage of buyers for rustic things - there is a shortage of the middle man/wood worker who buys off the sawmillers and sells to the rustic buyers. That there is a big hole and also a big opportunity.

The existing folks who do this it is often not as a business. I have found that the general public buy because a) they like the piece they are buying and b) the price is right.

After they have bought it THEN they enjoy the story behind the wood ie. sustainable etc etc

Rather than be moan this reality [I often did] we need to accept it. We need a couple of thousand of shops/people who can fill this middle area. I'm not sure how that will come about...

• Like 3

It will come about,
But only if we get organised and cooperate.
The various market forces are looking favourable.
It's being able to put a proposal forward to offer a level playing field for producers, combined with a viable business plan for manufacturers and media exposure.
There's a long list of organisations who would have to be involved in a process like this.
It would take years.
But what a difference it could make.

• 1 month later...