Pics of your milled products

Andy Collins

2 hours ago, lux said:

Was the larch fresh off the mill ? Not made framing from larch before. Is it fairly stable to use green or pis that larch part dried. ?
Nice joinery in that shed.

I have a few nice larch logs waiting to be milled. Be good to know.

It was stacked with stickers for about 5 weeks but I doubt it dried out that much. Its a fairly stable timber, Ive built with it straight off the mill before and its been fine. All the joints have draw bored pegs in to hold them tight as the timber dries just like in any other timber frame so I wouldn't expect a huge amount of movement in it.

I didn't mill all the timber in this building but I would always mill Larch quite soon after felling as during the summer they get attacked by wood wasp larvae and they'll eat into the sapwood and the edges of the heartwood. 

• Like 3

It was stacked with stickers for about 5 weeks but I doubt it dried out that much. Its a fairly stable timber, Ive built with it straight off the mill before and its been fine. All the joints have draw bored pegs in to hold them tight as the timber dries just like in any other timber frame so I wouldn't expect a huge amount of movement in it.
I didn't mill all the timber in this building but I would always mill Larch quite soon after felling as during the summer they get attacked by wood wasp larvae and they'll eat into the sapwood and the edges of the heartwood. 
Lovely. Is it for you or a customer?

2 hours ago, muttley9050 said:
4 hours ago, Jamespepperpot said:

Read more  

Lovely. Is it for you or a customer?

Its for a client, wish it was for me. One day, if I ever have the money, Id like to build myself a timber framed house out of larch or Douglas. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jamespepperpot said:

they get attacked by wood wasp larvae and they'll eat into the sapwood and the edges of the heartwood. 

Very nice work you do,  and yes the wasps can easily ruin a lot of nice wood, learnt that the hard way.

Very little European larch here although it can be found, most Jap or perhaps hybrid which I find can be frustratingly full of tensions but I do like it all the same.

A good combination up here in the wet west is Douglas for the frame and Larch cladding, cheers.

• Like 2