Pics of your milled products

Andy Collins

27 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

If I didn't have a router if try and find a joinery shop to flatten it for me. A friend of mine would put that through his sander for me for £20.

Unfortunately the only guys i know don't have a big enough planer or one of those big drum sanders...

This looks awesome! Going to try and make a coffee table myself in the next couple of weeks. How did you get the top nice and smooth/flat? I haven't got access to a large planer/thicknesser.

Cheers, James.
Thanks, like James said it's three boards joined together as I didn't have a wide enough board to make it out of one piece. It was the clients idea but it turned out ok, the glue line isn't perfect and it can look strange joining wide boards of burry oak.

I use a router sled set up on wider boards to flatten them. I often join boards together as they can be more stable than single wider boards because the grain direction faces different ways and means as the boards move seasonally they don't all move the same way. Heres a kitchen island I made last week out of three boards joined together. They were all flattened with a router sled then the edges were done on my planer.b6f9dc96c3bc4753bfa8f37e8cb729b4.jpgbc72dbb4ae18376e2eb140ee2602412f.jpg
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Cool vid James,
Looks like a good finish.
Whats that track playing?
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

It always looks shiny in the photos as I had only just applied the oil which is a satin finish.

Its called Peace of mind by Blue cheer. Awesome track, way before my time but I have a fetish for music from that era!

• Like 1

Some pictures of a bed I made over 3 months last year. Mostly elm but with some ash and oak. I'm not exactly sure how many hours went into it. I tend to just do a couple of hours at a time.

It's very solid, very heavy. 

Like pretty much everything I make it was all done a bit at a time. No drawings. Just sort of a rough idea in mind, make a start and then see where things go.

IMG_7243.JPG

IMG_7282.jpg

IMG_7894.JPG

IMG_7895.jpg

IMG_8798.JPG

IMG_9288.JPG

IMG_9440.JPG

• Like 9

4 hours ago, adamelder said:

Some pictures of a bed I made over 3 months last year. Mostly elm but with some ash and oak. I'm not exactly sure how many hours went into it. I tend to just do a couple of hours at a time.

It's very solid, very heavy. 

Like pretty much everything I make it was all done a bit at a time. No drawings. Just sort of a rough idea in mind, make a start and then see where things go.

IMG_7243.JPG

IMG_7282.jpg

IMG_7894.JPG

IMG_7895.jpg

IMG_8798.JPG

IMG_9288.JPG

IMG_9440.JPG

Awesome work mate, and plenty of tying down points which is always good to see

• Like 7
  • Haha 1