Pics of your milled products

Andy Collins

hi there.what size saw is that.i have 395xp would it be able to do this work.thanks

i use a 395xp with a 36" mill but im currently working with a 30" bar works well with alder, western red but can take time to mill ash and oak. Get a ripping chain too. :thumbup: Once you start you look a timber in a different way. Firewood no more its hmm maybe i can make a bench or coffee table out of that ash tree.:001_cool:

You can mill with ordinary cross cut chain but it tends to be more 'juddery' and leaves and more uneven finish... but that said it still does the job.

I've now got a good stock of Oregon chain in that will be cheaper than the Granberg chain I sell.

Not sure if I should post this here as the timber was milled on a proper band saw mill (Jacko Forestor) but here goes any way.

This friday I spent the day making a "bog" chair (no not that sort of Bog you lot at the back settle down).

Its been made with some Oak from a tree I felled last summer & has been air drying since under cover & was then brought inside to dry some more on a rack in the warm air flow from the wood fired stove to speed it up as the chair was a rush job that I thought I had months to make & was actually needed for next week. The finish is an olive oil based one as its going to be inside.

chair2.jpg

chair3.jpg

The chair was made for the school my youngest goes to. They have been having a school competition where they have split into groups (but not the same groups as the "houses" they are in). The Head asked me to make this chair to have a plaque put on for the winning group.

It might be small (10" high ish) but took more time to make than a full sized chair as all my kit is set up for larger jobs so it was all done by hand & the mortice was to small to use the chain morticer so was cut with chisels.

chair6.jpg

chair7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Done more than think about it - I've used both methods and both methods work. Like I said before they're very small plugs so when they shrink they only shrink a very small amount - not enough to worry about or to make a difference in what you're doing.

Tell you what let's agree to disagree on this one unless other members have any comment.

I shape my plugs and pegs by hand, first with a drawknife then a penknife, slightly bigger than the hole. I weigh them, stick 'em on the woodstove and wait 'till they've lost a third of their weight. They're now dry and fit snug. Am I weird?

I shape my plugs and pegs by hand, first with a drawknife then a penknife, slightly bigger than the hole. I weigh them, stick 'em on the woodstove and wait 'till they've lost a third of their weight. They're now dry and fit snug. Am I weird?

Well if it works then in works!! :thumbup1: Sounds a good way of doing things....

But I wouldn't have the patience myself :001_rolleyes: