Death of the silky..?

stihlmadasever

Case in point today,pruning an alder and every route i took involved bits jammimg in my harness or ear defenders,no chainsaw only the zubat but had the visor down most of the time i was in tree,had a near miss with a twig in the eye ball last year-i was lucky:001_smile:

Ditch the ear defenders and visor for plugs and specs, you'll never look back. I remember the last time I had to borrow a helmet as I had forgot mine, seemed like every single twig in the tree wanted to breed with the ear defenders

In answer to your query about the husky topper....if you are choosing between the 2 then the 150 will be the better choice, mainly because you can use it all weathers unlike the battery saws.

Thanks steve thats a good point i hadnt concidered,i was watching a certain mr coates on youtube earlier comparing the 2 saws and he like most of the guys here is pro 150.

Id still like to know what the husky has to offer,after bringing out the 540(which is a demon of a saw imo) surely the t536 will have something to compete with the all singin all dancing 150

Am I the only one who barely touches his silky now I have a 150?

The only time I use my Tsurugi is when the offending branch is a couple of inches off my rope.

Don't give me the safety crap. I've had/witnessed dozens of silky cuts in this job, only one chainsaw cut. (That's one less than hedge trimmer injuries ftr)

Thanks steve thats a good point i hadnt concidered,i was watching a certain mr coates on youtube earlier comparing the 2 saws and he like most of the guys here is pro 150.

Id still like to know what the husky has to offer,after bringing out the 540(which is a demon of a saw imo) surely the t536 will have something to compete with the all singin all dancing 150

you're comparing a battery saw with a petrol saw.

For me, the batter saws come into their own on hot summer days, but deadwoods maybe where you only need the saw for the odd piece here and there. No need for ear defenders or plugs. Its a pleasure to use on such days. but as I said before, its really an extra saw to add to the arsenal, maybe a luxury even.

Only time I use a silky now is water shoots and a tree that has 3 bits of dead in.... 150 all the way ,so easy to clip in your harness and forget about and combined with SRT it makes pruning all day in comparison to the old silky and DRT seem like being in a day spar in effort comparison.

Edited by MattyF

As I said above, it's apples and oranges. Not quite as bad as comparing a Stihl 261 with a 661, but you get the idea.

It is a bit of a luxury, but where the 536 comes into its own is where you want to be quieter; next to call centres, care homes, etc. We did work next to a care home and it was nice to know that we wouldn't be causing any alarm to the residents, or constant noise fatigue.

Early starts are nicer with the battery saw as well. You can crack on and not annoy the neighbours having a long lie in! We've had a couple of comments, customers surprised how quiet we were....... Until we start the chipper.

I don't have the MS-150TC, I've got the little Echo CS-271T.. uses 3/8" picco (lo pro) chain.. weighs about 6.5 lbs. and I love the thing. It has not, however, replaced my Silky or other handsaws. I just can't see that ever happening. When I don't think I'll need the curved blade Silky, I still take a 12" straight blade handsaw up with me. So many situations where I'd rather hang the chainsaw on my belt and finish the backcut with the handsaw. Like others have said, sometimes pruning just seems to go better, and fewer hassles, without the ear muffs and faceshield. Safety glasses and a helmet without the extra stuff.

Here's the little Echo next to a Stihl 201T...

201T-271T-04.JPG.ba60f8ac0841429fcc903bcaf4a264a3.JPG