Term time holidays for kids & parents getting fined by schools...

SteveA

Just been fined £240 for taking my two girls out of school to go on an epic trip across the USA. I have paid my fine as a good citizen but have appealed through the legal system. In summary the class went on a PGL trip that would have stung me for £1200 for doing nothing curriculum based so I took the hit and saved a fortune in airfares by booking out of school time.

My argument is that educationally my girls excelled in knowledge, culture, curiosity. We saw seven world record natural structures, 3 man-made ones and spent a lot of time learning. My girls have a 98% and 96% attendance and are in the top set for most subjects. They both play 4 instruments each, members of guides, attending British Athletics clubs and a plethora of charity work. At the age of 10 they think nothing of walking 10 miles on a weekend hunting me a nice tree or some wildlife.

Kids 2 doors down are really good at Playstaion games and swearing from what I can hear across the garden fence!

Talking to the head and the teachers we had a far better time but rules are rules!

Good man! :thumbup:

Maybe us parents should start fining schools for taking our kids on non-curriculum day trips and holidays. :laugh1:

....and to top that we should check up on teacher/ headteacher/ local Government and MP's attendance records. :thumbup:

Equal rights for kids! :thumbup:

My partner has been quite involved in the Parents Want a Say thing: you may find this helpful:

"If your child's attendance is higher than 80% I would tell the HT and the council that issues a FPN that they have failed to apply the statutory test when calculating attendance rate. Part 19 of the 2012 High Court ruling of London Borough of Bromley versus "C" makes it clear that the entire academic year must be taken into consideration when calculating attendance rate and that a holiday during term time does not automatically mean a failure of regular attendance.

The court case is here:

London Borough of Bromley v C [2006] EWHC 1110 (Admin) (07 March 2006)

This guy’s authority tried to fine him and he challenged them and won - the kids had 70% attendance"

cheers, steve

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heard on the radio the head of the school ofcom or what ever it is saying that he doesnt agree with going during term and beside its only a little bit more expensive during term time.

Not sure what planet hes on but ive seen it as a minimum of 3 times more expensive, often 4 time the cost to go during the holiday time.

if like me a fine of 120 or even 240 does little to put me off if the holiday dates push the costs up by thousands ( im a family of 4).

as an example few years back after a family tragedy i wanted to take the family to see my mother on the half term week.

all that was needed was flights, nothing else. £6000

week after half term £1600.

And to add insult to it all they say you have to wait till they finish the education years if you dont want to pay the fines. When my kids r 18 i doubt ill be playing on the beach with them.

Whilest ranting i cant understand why the teachers have to have teacher training days right after having the school term holidays? say summer they have 6 weeks off then take another day to do training. wasnt 6 weeks enough already( thats just one of the many holidays they have off too).

Unless the schools can provide a lesson plan to be completed by the students and checked by the parents while on Holiday, I am personally against taking a vacation or holiday during the school year. Vacation, or holiday should not be used during the school year since this time can not be made up and could jeopardize the students future education. Fining parents is a stupid money grab IMHO and will only lead to more frustration on the part of the parents and the students. The students will once again be left holding the bag since their parents vacation time and schedule may take precedence over their school time and future.

easy-lift guy

The above statement you make is a curious one. I have yet to see sufficient evidence based on what you claim. That is a very generic comment and I would suggest should be quoted on a case by case basis. Please be assured that the parent is also responsible for ensuring their child's education is not languishing below that of their companions. Homework does not do itself and neither does curious learning. It must be promoted or policed by the family. Saying a child will lose education by being away from school is rather mythical.

I draw your attention to members of staff being absent and the children being taught by a supply teacher. The continuity of learning is lost. generally the last week of term is lost to 'play' and other such nuances that actually benefit the school such as tidying the library books up ready for the start of the next term or having a litter sweep across the playing fields. Find me that in the curriculum please?

I would argue also that inset days and PLP days for teachers is not curriculum based either but the schools can use these to their advantage too. On each occasion I do not see the school being fined for 'loss of learning'.

Both my parents were successful teachers in their own right, especially my mother who was responsible for introducing IT in to schools way back in the late 70s. Remember BBC computers in schools? Yep blame my mother. So you can see I am not here for a fight but merely to put things in to perspective and make it all relative.

As an aside, I met up with Julia Bradbury at the travel show last year and quizzed her about inflated costs of travel when the school holidays arrive and it appears that we have the wrong end of a stick. The cost is not inflated it is merely returned to its 'normal' price while those without children are privileged to reduced costs of holidays. Silly parents eh!? (Although Julia did not look overly convinced that what she told me was actually true).

So there you have it. The man on the Isle of Wight was victorious and I hope to be too when I receive a response from the legal team.

In fairness, the government will have to address the grievance if over 100000 names are petitioned to parliament. I am not IT clever to kick start that but I understand that a Facebook page exists for disgruntled parents who wish to take kids out of school for holidays. Do not participate in Facebook so someone may enlighten us all?

This is one subject that really gets me annoyed! My perants took me out of school twice a year every year for skiing holiday and a summer holiday. My sister now runs a successful business and I'd like to think I do too , I personally can't see how taking your kids out of school for 1 week of the year is Gona make a difference other than a beneficial one. ! my 9 nine year old daughter came home from school the other day and couldn't complete her homework due to her book going missing , turns out another teacher had picked it up by mistake. When she asked her teacher if she still needs to complete it the teacher said " no don't worry " I rang the school and had a meeting with the teacher in hand and asked if I should fine her for taking her book as she's missing out on important education ! Other than an apology it all went quite ! The systems a joke

I've paid the fine in past and got on with it I'm certainly not being dictated as to when I can and can't have quality time with my family ,

I would tend to agree that if people are allowed to home school there children, then what is the difference taking them on an 'eductional' holiday.

However i sympaphise with teachers, both my sister and brother inlaw are teachers and are flat out with lesson planning/marking etc out of hours as it is- i think it is unfair on them to expect them to increase their workload further by them having to play catch up with the children when they return from holiday.

I would tend to agree that if people are allowed to home school there children, then what is the difference taking them on an 'eductional' holiday.

However i sympaphise with teachers, both my sister and brother inlaw are teachers and are flat out with lesson planning/marking etc out of hours as it is- i think it is unfair on them to expect them to increase their workload further by them having to play catch up with the children when they return from holiday.

It doesn't look like it's going to get any easier for teachers; what with more pupil assessment details being put on their workload and something like 50% of teachers being expected to leave the profession over the next 3 years.... putting even more pressure/ stress on the teachers (and the kids) that remain.

The well-being for children (and teachers) seems to be the last thing on the agenda.

cheers, steve

The above statement you make is a curious one. I have yet to see sufficient evidence based on what you claim. That is a very generic comment and I would suggest should be quoted on a case by case basis. Please be assured that the parent is also responsible for ensuring their child's education is not languishing below that of their companions. Homework does not do itself and neither does curious learning. It must be promoted or policed by the family. Saying a child will lose education by being away from school is rather mythical.

I draw your attention to members of staff being absent and the children being taught by a supply teacher. The continuity of learning is lost. generally the last week of term is lost to 'play' and other such nuances that actually benefit the school such as tidying the library books up ready for the start of the next term or having a litter sweep across the playing fields. Find me that in the curriculum please?

I would argue also that inset days and PLP days for teachers is not curriculum based either but the schools can use these to their advantage too. On each occasion I do not see the school being fined for 'loss of learning'.

Both my parents were successful teachers in their own right, especially my mother who was responsible for introducing IT in to schools way back in the late 70s. Remember BBC computers in schools? Yep blame my mother. So you can see I am not here for a fight but merely to put things in to perspective and make it all relative.

As an aside, I met up with Julia Bradbury at the travel show last year and quizzed her about inflated costs of travel when the school holidays arrive and it appears that we have the wrong end of a stick. The cost is not inflated it is merely returned to its 'normal' price while those without children are privileged to reduced costs of holidays. Silly parents eh!? (Although Julia did not look overly convinced that what she told me was actually true).

So there you have it. The man on the Isle of Wight was victorious and I hope to be too when I receive a response from the legal team.

In fairness, the government will have to address the grievance if over 100000 names are petitioned to parliament. I am not IT clever to kick start that but I understand that a Facebook page exists for disgruntled parents who wish to take kids out of school for holidays. Do not participate in Facebook so someone may enlighten us all?

I base my statement on living and attending school here in the USA. I have seen many students over the years here in the USA that really should have stayed in school instead of having vacations during the school year.

Most would struggle to catch up, however like I did state earlier if the teachers can provide a lesson plan for the students to follow and than turn in their assignments either by electronic means or upon return from their holiday I have no problem with that. I still have a really big problem with the school extorting money from parents who's children are on holiday with their parents:thumbdown:.

easy-lift guy