Distance learning

Tom_Arb

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i've applied for Myerscough and Bangor so will see what happens got a young family and still full time work but just keep my head down and get it done. Also found a useful link displaying most of the courses in the Uk for anyones future reference.

Professional Forestry Education | Silviculture Research International

halfway through the Foundation Degree online at Myerscough, I normally do a week night and a Weekend day for all study/assignments etc,however prior to Christmas this really bit me in the A$%£ and my results suffered.

Also have 30 odd years experience mostly in Ecology to draw on so don't under estimate the commitment...

halfway through the Foundation Degree online at Myerscough, I normally do a week night and a Weekend day for all study/assignments etc,however prior to Christmas this really bit me in the A$%£ and my results suffered.

Also have 30 odd years experience mostly in Ecology to draw on so don't under estimate the commitment...

When I signed up for L6 I also looked at the BSc at Warwick. The lecturer told me that if I didn't have the time to commit then do the BSc as the L6 is a lot more work. It assessed in a different way and this makes it more labour inventive. Not saying the academic route isn't hard as it clearly is but its not as much work. You only have to meet 50% of the AC for the degree but the L6 requires that the AC is met 100%. On the flip side though you have the high stakes situation of the exams which is something you don't have to deal with with the L6.

I had a conversation with Dealga O'Callaghan about it also. He isn't a fan of the L6 as he said it was way too much work for the student and the lecturer.

The L6 is changing next year to incorporate exams, I believe - though I may be wrong. At the very least, it is being considered.

Not saying you are wrong but I don't see how it can unless they radically change the way the QCF works. A requirement of the QCF is that you must meet 100% of the assessment criteria. Its the way it is set up so you can build up qualifications gradually. It would be virtually impossible to get 100% in every exam you sat. Like I said though could be wrong.

I'm in the final few months of the BSc, it is academically challenging over a range of different disciplines, and requires experience, as does the PD. They are different but, for me with experience of both, the BSc is more rigorous, although it involves less time commitment, and more widely accepted within academic circles and the ICF.

Not saying you are wrong but I don't see how it can unless they radically change the way the QCF works. A requirement of the QCF is that you must meet 100% of the assessment criteria. Its the way it is set up so you can build up qualifications gradually. It would be virtually impossible to get 100% in every exam you sat. Like I said though could be wrong.

Fair shout!