Processors choices?

Mad Ginger

I'm undecided whether to spend money on a firewood processor, or stick with the slower but less expensive chainsaw and splitter... From agriculture I'm new to this sector and therefore have limited knowledge on processors. From little research I can see a lot are foreign built, but what is the best? I'm located Central Scotland so preferably not something that's only got dealer service from Cornwall..

And by 'best' I'm meaning Build quality:Price.

I'm not decided on a budget but we'll say around tops 10-12k? and I would consider 2nd hand if they don't hold their value as well as other machinary.

Thanks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm no longer in the firewood game, but after several years of processing with chainsaw and axe i splashed out on a hakki pilke 1x37. Absolutely its worth it. You'll do 3-4 times as much work and not even break a sweat. The hakki pile is the only machine I have had experience with but as far as deal support goes, theres really not much to go wrong with it. Belts need changing every so often but they are a standard part.

I'm undecided whether to spend money on a firewood processor, or stick with the slower but less expensive chainsaw and splitter... From agriculture I'm new to this sector and therefore have limited knowledge on processors. From little research I can see a lot are foreign built, but what is the best? I'm located Central Scotland so preferably not something that's only got dealer service from Cornwall..

And by 'best' I'm meaning Build quality:Price.

I'm not decided on a budget but we'll say around tops 10-12k? and I would consider 2nd hand if they don't hold their value as well as other machinary.

Thanks

I have a new firewood processor coming at the end of the month from Trak-met. 3 phase electric, 12.5t split, semi automatic, log table in, conveyor out. Might be worth you popping in to see it once it's operational.

I was super impressed with the Farmi WP 36, softwood billets (for biomass) and hardwood to 14" through a six way, just..👍🏻

Portable and simple to use and repair, no belts and a log lift 👍🏻

Pretty rapid for a fairly cheap mobile/self-powered unit.

The new ones are the ones to go for as the older model has now been upgraded.

We had a Posch machine in on hire two years back, the little Farmi would keep up no worries (with processor grade hardwood and pulp softwood)

As I said I was mega impressed. Extremely simple and robust.

(I'm aware that Big-J had problems with his hire machine, this one I had was brand new 2015--first hire)

i have had a farmi ok machine but slow replaced with posch 360 and what a beast.you can also come and have a look if you are near,otherwise speak to john wilson at wilsons or kenny watt at caledonian forestry both have a good range of reconditioned machines for your sort of money .if you can wait till may both run open days and you can see the latest models flexing their muscles.

I was super impressed with the Farmi WP 36, softwood billets (for biomass) and hardwood to 14" through a six way, just..👍🏻

Portable and simple to use and repair, no belts and a log lift 👍🏻

Pretty rapid for a fairly cheap mobile/self-powered unit.

The new ones are the ones to go for as the older model has now been upgraded.

We had a Posch machine in on hire two years back, the little Farmi would keep up no worries (with processor grade hardwood and pulp softwood)

As I said I was mega impressed. Extremely simple and robust.

(I'm aware that Big-J had problems with his hire machine, this one I had was brand new 2015--first hire)

From speaking to everyone here, and the rep from Riko, I think that I just had a dodgy machine. It seemed in almost all respects that the power was throttled. Not much power for the cut or the split. The fact that it was jamming so often on spruce was what caused concern for me. Perhaps it's a warped perspective caused by running a sawmill with 40hp that doesn't struggle with anything - the WP36 spent much of the time battling to get through the timber.

spruce is the worst wood to put through a processor ,especially if its dry,stringy and if full of knots horrible,larch now thats a great wood to cut:thumbup:

It was pretty dry - from windblow sites. The appeal is that 70% of the logs produced from that stock is ready to burn (ie sub 25%) and you get a lot of volume for your tonnage. Plus it's £35 a tonne delivered.