Wire straining clamp?

spandit

Been busy removing loads of buried fence wire from a patch of land we're going to put pigs in. With the Jimny anchored to the Hilux and with me stood on the brake, managed to stop the winch pulling both vehicles off the hard standing (it was buried pretty deep & tree roots had grown through it).

Anyway, some of the other bits had to be pulled out individually so couldn't use my tube/angle iron clamp with the winch, but resorted to wrapping the wire round the winch cable hook. I see you can buy chain wire tensioners but can one buy the clamps individually for use with an electric winch as I feel this would have saved a lot of hassle?

Take the section of chain puller without the handle on ( clamp with tail of chain ) and stick a loop of chain at the end and secure with a bolt with a couple of wide flat washers).

Attach winch hook into the loop of the chain

So I have to buy the whole set & discard the rest? Can one not buy the clamps individually?

I like the look of the Speeco Farmex but they're only available in the USA :(

Should be simple to make for a welder. Drill off centre a knurled round piece about the size of a watch face. Fasten to a plate with a bar welded on so there is no gap when at its closest. Sorry if my explanation not great.

Think I understand - a sort of cam type arrangement?

Pulling 2 trucks along... :D

Don't think there is any more buried wire so I'd just be doing normal tensioning but it might be a worthwhile investment

How do u do normal tensioning?

Wire pullers are great bits of kit, pulled a few quads out with them. and some light trees over before i had winches

A few local new/young fencers and farmers pull wire with the tractor but i'd use a set of pullers every time, esp if got 2 clamps and pulling net to the middle, can pull some long streches in a oner.

One old school boy i worked with had welded extra long handles on his heads and usually had a pipe to give u that wee bit extra, was mental the pressure he put on his fences, to tight really.

Hayes or drivall are the best, be easy enough to weld a rough copy but as was mentioned if puting so much pressure on old rusty wire a very high change of it breaking.

Lost count of the times i've snapped line wires when patching old 5/6 strand fences and thats with all wire above ground

U could somehow attach a butterfly/raddassuier to ur hook and place wire throu, couple of turns with a spanner and 4" nail and u've secured ur wire, be cheaper

How do u do normal tensioning?

For stock fence I have a clamp I made with a piece of scaffolding tube & angle iron bolted together. For single wire, I have to form a loop but it won't be as much tension as the buried wire