Running an old saw

case mx270

I keep a 254,262 and 288 for when I do go out on track, the blokes always comment on the 262 being heavy compared to the MS261 they normally use but I've never weighed it compared with a MS 361 which would be a modern equivalent I think.

Just put my 262 with a 20in on the scale..17 lbs and my 361 with a 16 in comes out at 16lb. Bet there close with the same bar on them. They have always felt about the same in practice but the 262 feels as though all its dead weight is right under the hoop handle if that makes sense.

The 361 feels more flexible and therefore softer to me due to the spring A/V mounts.

Edited by Sawchip

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For every day work you can keep your old school saws , bad anti vibes and emissions and bland power bands I'm all for any new auto tune or Stratto saw.

Great for an occasional blast though....

Yep, I agree, got some olduns, good for a laugh and as a back up.

I'll always go for the newer ones given the choice.

357 xp in daily use for firewood and on site

056 main ground saw on site

136 for on roofs

346 for workshop and yard/workshop use.

070 for huge big beams and tidying up stacks.

We take down old solid oak houses. The Oak is hard as nails and the saws get a lot of hard abuse. The 056 is the only one that breezes through it all without any complaints.

The Huskys need more maintenance but I do prefer them. The old Stihls are just monsters.

Real old saws are fine as long as the owners have some idea about how to look after them and fix issues as they happen.

I get the odd old saw in and TBH, some are a labour of love and owners are lucky I have a vested interest in returning a saw back to good running condition as well as scratching a living rather than being purely commercial!

I am talking about the real old saws where spares are a bitch to find, the ones that come in with leaks, bits damaged or missing and the deeper you dig, the worse it gets:001_rolleyes::lol:

If you are looking at some of the real old kit then you buy it and factor in some TLC to ensure it is back to good working order and then you know when the thing won't start and the covers come off, you aren't going to find tha carb is shagged, AV rubbers are split, fuel line is gloop, sprocket is fooked........you know how it is!

What about a Stihl 076?

Looking to use as ground saw (ringing)

Yea these are good saws. Heavy but good for ringing up big timber. Used to use one with a 3 foot bar on it and it would run all day. Wouldn't want to use it on anything smaller than about 2 foot diameter tho it is too heavy and slow