Work in Australia

T01

Hi

I hear there's a skill shortage down under, has anyone had experience of working there or emigrating as an arb?

I would love to have went as my brother stays there but im too old now, if you have the chance i would say do it, as you can always come back and it all adds up to life experience :thumbup:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see our company are still looking...

yes Adam,

I did notice about a week ago, that Beaver was advertising for a Supervisor type Arbie.There are a few jobs going up here in Wellington as well, for experienced men, as well as trainees.We could be in the right job at the moment.

Edited by coolie
missing word

Anyone young enough to be able to go, just do it. Personally, i preferred NZ to Oz - though Tasmania is stunning, and came within a heart beat of emigrating some years ago. Had two 6 month spells (visa issues!) and loved the place, the people, outdoors lifestyle, classlessness (by that i mean lack of snobbery, not that the locals had no class!). 3 things in the end swayed it - distance from family,(a +ve for some!), lack of built heritage and proper pubs (yes, really), and strange though it may seem, lack of deciduous trees! I never could get used to vast forests of snow covered Southern Beech - with leaves still on. :confused1:

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys,

im currently living in aus and have been for the last 8 months and will be here for another 6 before trying something else. i came here after the fires and have been involved in that i should mention i work just out side of melbourne. reading the stuff above i think it is all true with regards to go have a look and do it and also the stuff about the pubs and history is true too but i think what is missing is the fact that or though australia is relatively new it does have its own culture i didnt want to go to a city or work for a pom here i wanted a good going aussie business and a aussie family to be close too and i got it and have loved it. australia does have a culture but you have to be in it to realise it i think and i love it. i would also say that the companies do vary i was working in sa to start with and hated it the boss had one yrs experience 10 times and was just a idiot. but then came to vic and have landed on my feet.

the work is pretty good too some weeks you will be deadwooding at 200ft and up and others you will be in universitys doing 50-70ft removals and some days doing weight reductions in the city. the work is so varied and very good here and i am going to come back for four yrs after doing a few more yrs of traveling. absolutely love it there are the drwbacks of family and having to start over but its a small price to pay to live the excellent life i do.

if you do come out all the best to ya.

hi guys,

im currently living in aus and have been for the last 8 months and will be here for another 6 before trying something else. i came here after the fires and have been involved in that i should mention i work just out side of melbourne. reading the stuff above i think it is all true with regards to go have a look and do it and also the stuff about the pubs and history is true too but i think what is missing is the fact that or though australia is relatively new it does have its own culture i didnt want to go to a city or work for a pom here i wanted a good going aussie business and a aussie family to be close too and i got it and have loved it. australia does have a culture but you have to be in it to realise it i think and i love it. i would also say that the companies do vary i was working in sa to start with and hated it the boss had one yrs experience 10 times and was just a idiot. but then came to vic and have landed on my feet.

the work is pretty good too some weeks you will be deadwooding at 200ft and up and others you will be in universitys doing 50-70ft removals and some days doing weight reductions in the city. the work is so varied and very good here and i am going to come back for four yrs after doing a few more yrs of traveling. absolutely love it there are the drwbacks of family and having to start over but its a small price to pay to live the excellent life i do.

if you do come out all the best to ya.

Well said jarnii,sounds like your having a sweet time,Pretty much goes for me in nz to (except the 200ft trees)

Its definately a culture shock when you first get here but you soon get used to it. :thumbup1:

Oh and theres no better place to work like uni's on a hot day :001_cool:

bloody oath mate its good as, love it here would love to stay but only 24 so gonna keep moving till i get tired of it then ill move back and do four yr stint. nz is on the list too. we dont do 200ft all the time but they do come our way quite alot. did a month straight of it and that was savage as got some prety cool pics too, you coming over for the vic comp in a few weeks.