Work in Australia

T01

I had one guy talk him self up as a "contract climber"he had never even worn spurs before,Im always wary of guys who can climb but have had very little chainsaw exp met a few like that.

Just be honest about your abilities and a good safe work ethic - you'll have a job!

I might have to use that in my adverts!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I are seriously beginning to think about moving to Oz. My wife has alot of family in the melbourne area and that would be our number 1 location.

I've recently gained a NA in Arboriculture with distinction, have NPTC 30,31,38,39 and UA1 and have been working full time since July 09. Although I haven't been climbing everyday for the company ( I guess you could call me the second climber) I feel quite confident within the trees and I would imagine this will improve the more experience I gain.

Does anyone know the exact procedure for emigrating, do you have to have a practical test before you go etc? I've looked at one website and apparently you have to gain an AQF level 3 certificate before your visa can be looked at. Also, how much experience would I need before being considered? Some people have said 12 months, others 24. Has anyone emigrated there recently and what was the visa process like for them?

Cheers:thumbup:

hey bm, i have a mate who has just done it in melb and know 3 other poms who have done it i wont be coz as much as i love the place there is so much more in the world to see.

i know they found the process a drag and pretty tedious, i looked into it as my boss offered to sponsor me and it is a pain of a process the best way is if you wife has family then you can get in down that route which is better than getting a skilled visa i think the one thing i know is go and do a year there first and then se if its what you want the one thing ive learnt is that places arent what people make them out to be so be wary. dont get me wrong i like oz but it isnt where id like to live full time.

with visas personally id go and see if you like it for a trial period and then if you are keen see about getting a sponsorship and if you dont like that idea then you can go down another route and get a family or skilled visa, all i know is when i was gonna stay and was gonna get sponsored the visa process is a pain in the butt.

good luck though, wanna know more just ask.

Thanks for the help jarnii, will look into makeing some contacts as i'am fed up of working in uk, i fancy a change if you know what i mean. i like the idea of traveling and work, and climbing some huge ass trees. thanks again for the advise.

no worries mate pm a over view of your work experience and i can pass it onto my boss if you want and maybe you could get something there.

i agree with not wanting to work in the uk, i love working abroard its heaps good.

oh yer and there are heaps of huge trees where we are. always climb over 100ft a week as standard ive done weeks when im fed up of doing big stuff and id rather do some smaller stuff.

good luck fella

• 4 months later...

Worked in Perth and Melbs, would never work in perth again, it's just so dull. Melbs is awesome tho and the cutters and climbers that side seemed a lot more capable to me. It was a good experience though and if you get an oportunity to go then i'de say go for it, as long as you like biiig trees!