Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning - MS200T rebuild

arborlicious

In Lieu of not having a 'Spud' downunder or someone similar that I know of...

Looking to rebuild some MS200T carbs (S61A and S126A) using the Zama kit (RB-69) but will give them an ultrasonic clean first.

Assuming I can get way without having to remove any jets or welsh plugs? Just take off the gaskets and diaphragms and also remove the inlet needle.

Steve

In Lieu of not having a 'Spud' downunder or someone similar that I know of...

Looking to rebuild some MS200T carbs (S61A and S126A) using the Zama kit (RB-69) but will give them an ultrasonic clean first.

Assuming I can get way without having to remove any jets or welsh plugs? Just take off the gaskets and diaphragms and also remove the inlet needle.

Steve

Hi STEVE HAPPY NEW YEAR MATE down there PM Steve on here mate thanks Jon

Ultrasonic cleaning can be good in some instances but is in no way a silver bullet on fixing carbs and making them all good again.

It is worth fitting a new kit on carbs with hardened diaphragms and distorted pumping diaphragms but not so useful if these components are OK.

Personally I leave the welch plug exactly where it is unless a rebuilt carb REALLY isn't working. I do re-seal the welch plug and also fit new accelerator pumps in the carbs I refurbish. I find this works well in most I have done and retains the low down pickup on the MS200 where just blanking of the circuit loses this!

Most MS200 carb issues are accelerator pump issues followed by leaking welch plugs - the US cleaner does loosen them up so watch for this!

Ultrasonic cleaning can be good in some instances but is in no way a silver bullet on fixing carbs and making them all good again.

Most MS200 carb issues are accelerator pump issues followed by leaking welch plugs - the US cleaner does loosen them up so watch for this!

Damn, I was looking for a silver bullet...thanks for all the info Steve.

I've never replaced the accelerator pump before but found a good description (with pics) of the process on arboristsite. I've already blocked off the accelerator pump circuit on the S61A (via the welch plug inlet side) so will pull out the pump for a gander.

Also, managed to find an apparently genuine Zama C1Q-S126A on ebay for $60 (~£30) new. I'll wait and see how it runs. That's cheaper than the time and money it'd cost to replace the accelerator pump.

Damn, I was looking for a silver bullet...thanks for all the info Steve.

I've never replaced the accelerator pump before but found a good description (with pics) of the process on arboristsite. I've already blocked off the accelerator pump circuit on the S61A (via the welch plug inlet side) so will pull out the pump for a gander.

Also, managed to find an apparently genuine Zama C1Q-S126A on ebay for $60 (~£30) new. I'll wait and see how it runs. That's cheaper than the time and money it'd cost to replace the accelerator pump.

Just PM me if you need any advice. The welch plug fix does work but care needs to be taken as the channels lead to the high speed check valve and can get blocked plus fuel has the habit of destroying glues and bonding agents despite their claims:001_rolleyes::lol:

The C1Q is a mystery to most but think I have the little buggers licked:thumbup:

The welch plug fix does work but care needs to be taken as the channels lead to the high speed check valve and can get blocked plus fuel has the habit of destroying glues and bonding agents despite their claims:001_rolleyes::lol:

I used the tiniest bit of Permatex Steel Weld Epoxy. so hopefully not enough to get into the HS check valve.

The C1Q is a mystery to most but think I have the little buggers licked

I'd definitely use your repair services if we weren't separated by an ocean or two.