Dolmar

shavey

A big Thank You to Shavey for the Delivery of another Dolmar...  This time it is AS-3835 36v... As it uses the Makita batteries it works great with all my carpentry kit...

I have got this saw for being by the chipper to trim awkward bits so I don't have to keep starting up a petrol saw. Press on an go.....

IMG_6430.JPG

Edited by Jamie Jones
missed a bit of info
  • Like 3

A big Thank You to Shavey for the Delivery of another Dolmar...  This time it is AS-3835 36v... As it uses the Makita batteries it works great with all my carpentry kit...

I have got this saw for being by the chipper to trim awkward bits so I don't have to keep starting up a petrol saw. Press on an go.....
IMG_6430.thumb.JPG.ee5d65b927bef44d9be1d299033baa84.JPG
Ooh interesting, I've just enquired with shavey about a price for one of those. How do you find it.

1 hour ago, harvey b davison said:
3 hours ago, Jamie Jones said:

IMG_6430.thumb.JPG.ee5d65b927bef44d9be1d299033baa84.JPG

Read more  

Ooh interesting, I've just enquired with shavey about a price for one of those. How do you find it.

I have only taken delivery of it today.. Will be using it tomorrow so I will let you know... I also have the 36v new Makita top handle saw.... It is a good chainsaw but you can't push these saws hard... you just have to let them do their thing

• Like 1

I have only taken delivery of it today.. Will be using it tomorrow so I will let you know... I also have the 36v new Makita top handle saw.... It is a good chainsaw but you can't push these saws hard... you just have to let them do their thing

Haha, you have just bought the exact 2 saws that are next on my shopping list.

3 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

Haha, you have just bought the exact 2 saws that are next on my shopping list.

So for Harvey B Davison....

Here goes with a review of what I think on these two saws...

Q1) Why am I buying Dolmar/Makita Kit?

Let's make one thing clear I am a big Dolmar fan. They make Great chainsaws for a really good price. Compared to Stihl Chainsaws you can get two Dolmar/Makita chainsaws for the price of one Stihl Chainsaw.... When I first set my business up (five years ago) all my equipment was Stihl equipment and to be honest it is good kit. I have twelve items of Stihl Equipment. But I had some issues with their new strimmer heads and on two occasions the Stihl National Sales Reps have lied to me direct to my face, saying I am the only person with this problem. Even when another customer raised the issue with them in front of me, they still denied there was a problem. I have since found out that other dealers have also raised this with them and tackled them for a second time and they still lied to me.. Since then I have purchased a further nine items of equipment and none of them are from Stihl even though Stihl make the the items I have purchased.... So their loss. It is also a loss for my Stihl dealer who are excellent and give top service. But it has cost them sales as well...

Q2) Firstly are these saws really Dolmar Chainsaw?
Well no not really... I suspect that they are Makita Chainsaws and they are both made in China. So no they are not made in the Dolmar factory in Germany. 

Q3) Thoughts on the Dolmar AS3835 36v Battery.. (Rear Handle Chainsaw).
Lets be honest when you put down your 60cc chainsaw and pick up a battery powered saw it is always uninspiring..... This saw will not set your world alight... 
But... I didn't buy it for forestry.... I purchased it to sit beside a chipper for when you need to take off awkward branches to get stuff in the chipper or for the odd bit of pruning. It was taking too much effort continuously pulling on a chord to fire up a petrol saw for seconds of action..  For this task it is a great little chainsaw and for what little use I got out of it on its first day of action, I was very pleased with it and it lived up to my expectations. My colleague also had a go with it and was happy with it.. So I had a play with his Husky Battery chainsaw and I felt it was certainly and equal, although I have not done a direct comparison.
So as a comparison... Dolmar AS3835 or the Stihl MS211.... For what I purchased the Dolmar AS3835 for I would opt for the Dolmar.. But for extended running use I would go for the petrol engine.
The good thing about the Dolmar/Makita 36v chainsaws is that I also have a load of other Makita carpentry tools and the batteries will be powering a whole host of other items.
So all in all, I am very pleased with Dolmar AS3835 and would recommend it as long as you manage your expectations. I went for the Dolmar version over the Makita because of the Dolmar's colour as I don't like the Makita Teal Blue. I do prefer all my tools to be brightly coloured...

Q4) Thoughts on the Makita DUC306 36v Battery?  (Top Handle Chainsaw).
I got this obviously for use while climbing... I hate the Makita Teal Blue but at this stage you can't buy it in Dolmar red/orange... Again it has lived up to my expectations and the reason for getting it was so I was not continuously pulling on the pull chord for seconds of action. So for that reason it is a big bonus when up in a tree and it does make life easy. The boost power function is also a good feature (The rear handle saw doesn't have this at the moment).

I have been very pleased with it for working on limbs and pruning... So for a crown reduction it would be a great saw.
For stem work... Yes it will do it but you have to let it go at its own pace.. Push it and it bogs down. When I compare it to my Echo CS360TES 36cc petrol saw I think the petrol engine has more guts and will go further than the battery saw. A great top handle chainsaw that I have been very impressed with.
I also have the Echo CS2511TES 25cc Petrol Chainsaw... Again a great little chainsaw that I have been very impressed with... 
So which is the better top handle chainsaw and which one would I pick up first out of: Makita DUC306 36v Battery, Echo CS360TES 36cc petrol, or the Echo CS2511TES 25cc Petrol?
1, If I could only have one saw... Well it would have to be the Echo CS360TES 36cc petrol for doing everything.

2, For pruning, crown reductions and dealing with smaller branches? As long as it is not endless pull chord pulling it would be the Echo CS2511TES 25cc Petrol because it is so light.. But if it is lots endless tugs on the pull chord it would be the Makita DUC306 36v Battery saw.
3, So how do you plan on using the Makita DUC306 36v Battery saw? For jobs where it will get lots of on/off use it will be the Makita every time. Them switch to the Echo CS360TES for the more chunky stems in the top handle saw range.

Will all these battery saws you have to let then do their thing and you can't push them as they will just bog down.

I hope this helps answer peoples questions and in reality all the saws will be getting plenty of use.

IMG_6518.jpg

So for Harvey B Davison....

Here goes with a review of what I think on these two saws...

Q1) Why am I buying Dolmar/Makita Kit?
Let's make one thing clear I am a big Dolmar fan. They make Great chainsaws for a really good price. Compared to Stihl Chainsaws you can get two Dolmar/Makita chainsaws for the price of one Stihl Chainsaw.... When I first set my business up (five years ago) all my equipment was Stihl equipment and to be honest it is good kit. I have twelve items of Stihl Equipment. But I had some issues with their new strimmer heads and on two occasions the Stihl National Sales Reps have lied to me direct to my face, saying I am the only person with this problem. Even when another customer raised the issue with them in front of me, they still denied there was a problem. I have since found out that other dealers have also raised this with them and tackled them for a second time and they still lied to me.. Since then I have purchased a further nine items of equipment and none of them are from Stihl even though Stihl make the the items I have purchased.... So their loss. It is also a loss for my Stihl dealer who are excellent and give top service. But it has cost them sales as well...

Q2) Firstly are these saws really Dolmar Chainsaw?
Well no not really... I suspect that they are Makita Chainsaws and they are both made in China. So no they are not made in the Dolmar factory in Germany. 

Q3) Thoughts on the Dolmar AS3835 36v Battery.. (Rear Handle Chainsaw).
Lets be honest when you put down your 60cc chainsaw and pick up a battery powered saw it is always uninspiring..... This saw will not set your world alight... 
But... I didn't buy it for forestry.... I purchased it to sit beside a chipper for when you need to take off awkward branches to get stuff in the chipper or for the odd bit of pruning. It was taking too much effort continuously pulling on a chord to fire up a petrol saw for seconds of action..  For this task it is a great little chainsaw and for what little use I got out of it on its first day of action, I was very pleased with it and it lived up to my expectations. My colleague also had a go with it and was happy with it.. So I had a play with his Husky Battery chainsaw and I felt it was certainly and equal, although I have not done a direct comparison.
So as a comparison... Dolmar AS3835 or the Stihl MS211.... For what I purchased the Dolmar AS3835 for I would opt for the Dolmar.. But for extended running use I would go for the petrol engine.
The good thing about the Dolmar/Makita 36v chainsaws is that I also have a load of other Makita carpentry tools and the batteries will be powering a whole host of other items.
So all in all, I am very pleased with Dolmar AS3835 and would recommend it as long as you manage your expectations. I went for the Dolmar version over the Makita because of the Dolmar's colour as I don't like the Makita Teal Blue. I do prefer all my tools to be brightly coloured...

Q4) Thoughts on the Makita DUC306 36v Battery?  (Top Handle Chainsaw).
I got this obviously for use while climbing... I hate the Makita Teal Blue but at this stage you can't buy it in Dolmar red/orange... Again it has lived up to my expectations and the reason for getting it was so I was not continuously pulling on the pull chord for seconds of action. So for that reason it is a big bonus when up in a tree and it does make life easy. The boost power function is also a good feature (The rear handle saw doesn't have this at the moment).
I have been very pleased with it for working on limbs and pruning... So for a crown reduction it would be a great saw.
For stem work... Yes it will do it but you have to let it go at its own pace.. Push it and it bogs down. When I compare it to my Echo CS360TES 36cc petrol saw I think the petrol engine has more guts and will go further than the battery saw. A great top handle chainsaw that I have been very impressed with.
I also have the Echo CS2511TES 25cc Petrol Chainsaw... Again a great little chainsaw that I have been very impressed with... 
So which is the better top handle chainsaw and which one would I pick up first out of: Makita DUC306 36v Battery, Echo CS360TES 36cc petrol, or the Echo CS2511TES 25cc Petrol?
1, If I could only have one saw... Well it would have to be the Echo CS360TES 36cc petrol for doing everything.
2, For pruning, crown reductions and dealing with smaller branches? As long as it is not endless pull chord pulling it would be the Echo CS2511TES 25cc Petrol because it is so light.. But if it is lots endless tugs on the pull chord it would be the Makita DUC306 36v Battery saw.
3, So how do you plan on using the Makita DUC306 36v Battery saw? For jobs where it will get lots of on/off use it will be the Makita every time. Them switch to the Echo CS360TES for the more chunky stems in the top handle saw range.

Will all these battery saws you have to let then do their thing and you can't push them as they will just bog down.

I hope this helps answer peoples questions and in reality all the saws will be getting plenty of use.
IMG_6518.thumb.jpg.222a6dfab1fc4f81d353a83cf8b83f3f.jpg
Jamie, that's brilliant. Thankyou for that.
I don't intend on doing much tree work with them, they are mainly to be used for carving (well, trying [emoji23]) and for joinery work as well.
I already have a 18v top handle saw which I use for fine details, but want to add to my collection. I also have a dolmar ps32 with carving bar and a makita 9010 which is rarely used, but hopefully one day be used for milling. I also have a McCulloch (have a soft spot for them as it was my first chainsaw make I bought 30 years ago, so I like to have one, and to be honest, I've never had a problem with them.)
Apart from the 18v saw I don't have any other makita battery tools, but this doesn't bother me. All my joinery tools are either metabo or milwaukee.
Cheers
Harvey

1 hour ago, harvey b davison said:

Jamie, that's brilliant. Thankyou for that.
I don't intend on doing much tree work with them, they are mainly to be used for carving (well, trying emoji23.png) and for joinery work as well.
I already have a 18v top handle saw which I use for fine details, but want to add to my collection. I also have a dolmar ps32 with carving bar and a makita 9010 which is rarely used, but hopefully one day be used for milling. I also have a McCulloch (have a soft spot for them as it was my first chainsaw make I bought 30 years ago, so I like to have one, and to be honest, I've never had a problem with them.)
Apart from the 18v saw I don't have any other makita battery tools, but this doesn't bother me. All my joinery tools are either metabo or milwaukee.
Cheers
Harvey

If you ever want rid of the makita 9010... I might be interested..

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Has anyone ever managed to get hold of or Seen / Used the Domlar PS311TB 30cc Top Handle Chainsaw..

If so is it any good?

It would to think that it would be good to get one before Dolmar is no more (Bad decisions by Makita imho)

Shavey... If you see this... Can you get hold of them yet? 

Dolmar_PS311TH-1.jpg

Dolmar_PS311TH-2.jpg