Greasing bearings on chipper and stump grinders.

lerp

I have Jensen Woodchipper with greasable bearing on fly-wheel. I have been advised to grease every 60 hours with just 2 pumps.

Does this seem about right? I was told not to purge this bearing with grease.

I was doing maintenance today and it took 10 pumps without hearing any "crackling" noise of grease coming out of bearing.

Also with stump grinder wheel bearing I was told previously to grease until it purges out of sides. Is this right?

Thanks for any advice.

I have Jensen Woodchipper with greasable bearing on fly-wheel. I have been advised to grease every 60 hours with just 2 pumps.

Does this seem about right? I was told not to purge this bearing with grease.

I was doing maintenance today and it took 10 pumps without hearing any "crackling" noise of grease coming out of bearing.

Also with stump grinder wheel bearing I was told previously to grease until it purges out of sides. Is this right?

Thanks for any advice.

you only purge fill ,purge bearings , if you purge sealed bearing you will blow the seal ,turn the fly wheel as you greas them it gets clean grease alway around the bearings

ok I think it is fine to purge stump-grinder bearings and keep them regularly greased during day.

The bearing on the fly wheel of the woodchipper though I am unsure about. Previously it had a sealed bearing but was replaced with greasable bearing by engineer. Is there any way by looking at it that I can tell if it is sealed or if it is purge-fill type?

ok I think it is fine to purge stump-grinder bearings and keep them regularly greased during day.

The bearing on the fly wheel of the woodchipper though I am unsure about. Previously it had a sealed bearing but was replaced with greasable bearing by engineer. Is there any way by looking at it that I can tell if it is sealed or if it is purge-fill type?

what grinder have you got as most use sealed bearings ,i think its only carlton & bandit that use purge bearings .may be a couple of pumps every 10hrs ??

We say that flywheel bearings take 2-3 pumps once a week if the unit is in regular use. Over greasing can cause the grease to overheat and is less than useful. If it has a seal, then you should not Bea able to see the bearings were as a purge bearing has room for the olg grease to flow out. There are many different types of bearings fitted to different applications so check what is needed by the bearing supplier.

We say that flywheel bearings take 2-3 pumps once a week if the unit is in regular use. Over greasing can cause the grease to overheat and is less than useful. If it has a seal, then you should not Bea able to see the bearings were as a purge bearing has room for the olg grease to flow out. There are many different types of bearings fitted to different applications so check what is needed by the bearing supplier.

I'm sure we've been here before Pete! mostly sound advice there, i would say though that 2-3 pumps once a week on most chipper bearings is way too much, from experience a Quadchips 4" RHP ec units have no room to take anywhere near that amount of greasing. My advice for most average size chippers, would be one stroke a week maximum(even that will end up over greasing) using a standard LM grease, if using a quality synthetic grease this could be increased to to once a month. On stump grinder cutter wheel bearings when new try to get a lot of grease in the bearing with two or three pumps while turning wheel. Then don't grease again I guarantee they will last longer than greasing regularly. If the seal is blown even just slightly it'll be game over for the bearing.

Less is more when it comes to greasing chipper fly wheel bearings. And on some bearings that do not take any load one stroke every six months will be sufficient! I've got the bearings to prove it running year in year out!

For what it's worth, my greenmech has a purge bearing on the 'rollers' side and a sealed bearing on the engine side.

Last week I heard a clattering bearing so stopped the machine and phoned up for a new set of flywheel bearings. A few minutes after the purchase I realised it was the belt tensioner pulley that was making the noise.

The chipper has done 500 hours so I changed the flywheel bearings anyway (gotta have fun at Christmas). I have to say that when I removed the old bearings they looked perfect, and there was no play at all in them.

For what it's worth I grease the bearings once a week (the purge bearing takes about 60 pumps (on my 400cc gun) till I see the fresh grease coming out.

I put two slow pumps into the front one. This has done the job as the old bearings will testify. Shame I never checked the tensioner! Still, they were sourced locally and done in 10 minutes.

Moral of the tale, If its a purge bearing - give it plenty, if its a sealed bearing treat it like a Richard Branson trademark.

As a last resort, check with the bearing manufacturer.