Alpine tractor - which make ?

tcfengineering

We originally had a 76 and were one of the first Ferrari users in the South of England. Ferrari came out to take pictures for their brochure in the late 70's.

The 76 had an 'accident' whilst doing its job weeding the lines of young trees; Diesel & Rosebay willowherb fluff is an explosive mixture and there wasn't much left of the machine except three wheels! (I'm sure I could still find these, still buried in a Buckinghamshire Beech wood)

This machine was replaced with the latest model, an S registered '86' and this new replacement continued to work right up until it was sold at auction three years ago, so from 1977 to 2013, not bad eh? The only major things replaced were the pivot bearings and a set of oil seals on the steering pump.

This was an interesting excersize in its own right, as the machining was so tight inside that the heat generated from my handling of the components would not allow me to re-assemble until all parts were all the same temperature! (I helped with a little squirt from the C02 fire extinguisher).

I like the reversible seats that are fitted for todays market and will offer one warning for articulated machine drivers in that if your front wheels go over a big stump, the back will surely follow and the resulting flick may throw you out of the drivers seat, just be careful!

codlasher

I opted for a 71hp Carraro which I am really, really pleased with.

I think for your budget ( if buying new) you are going to be limited to an AGT. I agree with Richy B, go for as much power as you can, look at the 850 /860 if your budget will stretch

Only thing I don't like about the AGT is the gear box in the woods as its on a straight slider, selecting gears can get tedious whilst trying to work in tight places.

The other thing is if you want a winch for one only the small uniforest ones will go straight on with out mods.

Only thing I don't like about the AGT is the gear box in the woods as its on a straight slider, selecting gears can get tedious whilst trying to work in tight places.

The other thing is if you want a winch for one only the small uniforest ones will go straight on with out mods.

Agreed about the winch. In fairness the uniforest one is well suited and I doubt there would be much gain in fitting a larger model as you haven't got the weight/traction to make it work. My 35m can easily drag my 835 backwards even with the linkage right down and digging in.

Ive used articulated on a trailer and find sometimes if you do real tight turns with a heavy trailer it can lock the articulation on. That might just be an issue with the tractor I was on though. They make reversing trailers a whole lot easier though. They are a lot more manoeuvrable though

Both have there advantages. Front steering is better on slopes, articulated has great turning circle and manoeverability. One thing like about the articulated steer is if you find you self bogging down in the muddy rut you can 'wiggle' you way out of it.

It's going to come down to what you intend doing to most of. If you are in the woods more than 50% of the time I'd go for articulated. Any less go for front steering.