Homemade log processor saw issues

Chipy

Failed to test the pressure today as the kit I borrowed had no blanks in it to put on other end of the tester. The seals also popped straight out again on first attempt at using the saw so I think I'm going to have to forget about that saw unfortunately. Anyone got any alternatives for the saw? How easy it is it building a hydraulic saw using an old petrol one and a hydraulic motor etc or removing the motor off mine and adding an aftermarket motor? Motor for my saw is £700 from Stanley 😯

Here's a picture of the saw setup. Behind saw is the log clamp which also pushes log along to chop at 5 foot.

image.jpeg.5fbe5849db21f6110b4cea48c302c4c5.jpeg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Failed to test the pressure today as the kit I borrowed had no blanks in it to put on other end of the tester. The seals also popped straight out again on first attempt at using the saw so I think I'm going to have to forget about that saw unfortunately. Anyone got any alternatives for the saw? How easy it is it building a hydraulic saw using an old petrol one and a hydraulic motor etc or removing the motor off mine and adding an aftermarket motor? Motor for my saw is £700 from Stanley

Here's a picture of the saw setup. Behind saw is the log clamp which also pushes log along to chop at 5 foot.

Chipy, not all hydraulic motors can reverse , some of them put the case drain into the return internally which make them directional. Connecting the wrong way will pop seals straight out. Are you sure that you have the flow running round the motor the way intended? The only other thing I can think of is that the return line on the machine is under too much pressure. Easy enough to test, just connect the return to dump straight into the hydraulic tank.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

Chipy, not all hydraulic motors can reverse , some of them put the case drain into the return internally which make them directional. Connecting the wrong way will pop seals straight out. Are you sure that you have the flow running round the motor the way intended? The only other thing I can think of is that the return line on the machine is under too much pressure. Easy enough to test, just connect the return to dump straight into the hydraulic tank.

Bob

I connected it back up the way we had last time when it ran for half a day fine. Was only when we got it stuck in a log and reversed it to unstick it that it popped it's seals out which is fine I think seeing as it probably wouldn't have high pressure seals for reversing the motor.

Failed to test the pressure today as the kit I borrowed had no blanks in it to put on other end of the tester. The seals also popped straight out again on first attempt at using the saw so I think I'm going to have to forget about that saw unfortunately. Anyone got any alternatives for the saw? How easy it is it building a hydraulic saw using an old petrol one and a hydraulic motor etc or removing the motor off mine and adding an aftermarket motor? Motor for my saw is £700 from Stanley 😯

just been having a think about this are you using a hammer circuit or double acting circuit as if you are using a double acting circuit there may be excessive back pressure in the return line causing the seals to pop out check your machine that there is a direct to tank return line that passes thru the return filter as if there is any debris you don't want cross contamination also you should be able to check the pressure on your machine with the valves on the dipper closed off there will be m16 test points on the valve block or pump then recheck with the motor running under load or tee in at the dipper connection i would reckon that your motor is made by parker or some other common manufacturer i would doubt that stanley would make it try whitehouse hydraulics for some id

I connected it back up the way we had last time when it ran for half a day fine. Was only when we got it stuck in a log and reversed it to unstick it that it popped it's seals out which is fine I think seeing as it probably wouldn't have high pressure seals for reversing the motor.

You will either need to swap the motor for a bidirectional one or frig the pipe work and spool valve so there is no way of reversing what you have. There are no seals you can retro fit in a motor case that will take that kind of pressure. bidirectional motors usually have a seperate pipe to relieve the case of pressure as on the mulcher head below.

Bob

image.jpg1_zpses1rl5ke.jpg

You will either need to swap the motor for a bidirectional one or frig the pipe work and spool valve so there is no way of reversing what you have. There are no seals you can retro fit in a motor case that will take that kind of pressure. bidirectional motors usually have a seperate pipe to relieve the case of pressure as on the mulcher head below.

Bob

image.jpg1_zpses1rl5ke.jpg

a simple high pressure check valve on the outlet of the motor would do, also take a close up off the end of the motor to get a look at the id plate

I've taken saw to bits and pushed seals back in which had popped out but it was a bit too easy pushing them in so il find out tomorrow whether or not there going to stay in. I've also borrowed someone's testing kit so tomorrow il be able to see what psi digger is kicking out etc and I can easily work out litres per minute by pumping oil into a bucket and timing it etc. When saw was in bits I also noticed motor looked quite worn and so I'm starting to look at alternatives. Is a circular saw going to do the job? Can't find any on eBay so does anyone know of any that will do a 20" log? Someone's suggested a band saw but I've never seen one on a processor before nor a hydraulic one?

Not speaking as any sort of expert, but I think that there are two types of motor, reversing ones can stand the pressure both ways, others that cant, and if your seals are popping out the perhaps the return back pressure is causing issues? Who knows?