unimog and the rules !! FACTS needed!

prolinep

HI There,

Looking to purchase a unimog, and am after solid facts on the law with using them so that i know what I'm getting my self into. so really those that have them can you advise me please.

So I Know if:

Its classed as Agri: then there is no tax and can be run on red, with just insurance to pay each year and maintenance.

Its classed as commercial: then its on an O license and you need a hgv and have to pay tax and insurance and inspections etc.

Im looking to buy one to run attachments like ( hedge cutter, Post knocker, Log splitter, Hiab, roller and flail) your usual tractor work. but also by getting it means i could look at getting a timber trailer and cart wood chip and logs to the yard on the bigger jobs ... If i have it make it work sort of thing.

Now how does this sit with the law. I know on agri tax your not meant to be using it for " haulage" like commercial as pulling low loader trailers every day to deliver hire plant and delivering goods using it for what you should use a hiab lorry for.

But as i don't intend to use it for anything other than moving timber or woodchip of my jobs to my yard etc wouldn't this be like pulling the hay back from the field?

and what is the distance limit on agri from the registered place of where its kept?

Any advice is great. But please make sure its 99% fact haha as i don't want this threat full of ... ( my mate said) or ( i think you can) ... :lol:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I Know if:

Its classed as Agri: then there is no tax and can be run on red, with just insurance to pay each year and maintenance.

Its classed as commercial: then its on an O license and you need a hgv and have to pay tax and insurance and inspections etc.

:

What its classed (registered) as is not relevant, what makes a difference is use.

You could register an artic as agricultural but you would be in bother if you used it for general haulage

You'll have to register it as commercial mate. Tree Surgery and forestry are NOT part of agricultural. You'll need an o licence to drive it etc etc same as you've listed above. People think it's a grey area but it's actually very Black and White.

forestry is agriculture

but domestic tree surgery isn't. with regards to red diesel

on a slightly different note , how easy is it to change taxation class of a unimog or other ( I was thinking of getting an ex army 4x4 lorry adding a hiab and taxing as forestry / special vehicle ) . Does the cost of changing out weigh any savings , does change require VOSA inspection . The main aim would be to save money and reduce the statutory paperwork ( I would still want to maintain vehicle in a safe state but do it myself , same as tractor )

forestry is agriculture

This is the bit I dont understand, in the exemption 8.3 it says rebated fuel can be used in a tractor for the use of agriculture forestry and horticulture. Does horticulture not cover domestic trees,plants and general greenery ? the definition of Horticulture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horticulture

Check out 8.20 and 8.3

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-75-fuel-for-road-vehicles/excise-notice-75-fuel-for-road-vehicles

Am I missing something ?

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
fat fingers

This is the bit I dont understand, in the exemption 8.3 it says rebated fuel can be used in a tractor for the use of agriculture forestry and horticulture. Does horticulture not cover domestic trees,plants and general greenery ? the definition of Horticulture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horticulture

Check out 8.20 and 8.3

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-75-fuel-for-road-vehicles/excise-notice-75-fuel-for-road-vehicles

Am I missing something ?

Bob

you have answered your own question really, its the domestic bit.

horticulture is growing for profit.

domestic and cricket/football gounds grass cutting etc are white diesel only.

forestry is agriculture

Forestry, horticulture and agriculture are the same class, what I have a problem with is understanding while a domestic garden is horticulture (and school grounds, playing fields and highways are not) because it isn't a horticultural entrepreneurial activity is may not be covered for deliveries of produce in and out.

I would say driving to a domestic property to take down a tree would be lawful use of red diesel, hauling produce away would not be. Driving to a football ground, school or town centre greenspace would not be within the horticultural use. I would like to see a legal precedent on this if anyone has a cite?