Two days after the theft of chipper

Gardiners Tree Surgery

I heard of car thieves using cheap and simple to use key finder tracker apps to track where a car was kept overnight. They would see a car they fancy in the day then put a cheap key finder device on the axle then it would send its gps location to the thieves phone when he activated it. Surely it could be used for good also! Attach one to a chipper? Or I suppose get a purpose built tracker fitted to it. The only thing is its one thing finding it, its another thing getting it back! Preventing the loss in the first place is the best thing.

Top reply.

I am sure that a combination of one of these gps devices together with a secret identity mark or postcode and a good CCTV system linked to your smartphone would prevent a lot of this thieving.

I bought a Maplin CCTV system for £250 and can see what is going on in my yard from anywhere in the world live. 30 days continuous recording and an easy to find red line signalling an "event" so you do not have to trawl through the whole period that you were away. It alerts you by text and email.

Swann DVR8-3425 8 Channel DVR CCTV Security Kit with 4 Cameras and Alarm | Maplin

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that Commando has mentioned the vulnerability of these camera to Laser guns in another thread.

Perhaps we need to put up dummies to deter and hide the real ones inside bird boxes, oil drums and old pallets etc.

I hid one in the office that looks out through the hole in the side of a standard box file.

I see that Commando has mentioned the vulnerability of these camera to Laser guns in another thread.

Perhaps we need to put up dummies to deter and hide the real ones inside bird boxes, oil drums and old pallets etc.

I hid one in the office that looks out through the hole in the side of a standard box file.

Good call . Was thinking the same .

Top reply.

I am sure that a combination of one of these gps devices together with a secret identity mark or postcode and a good CCTV system linked to your smartphone would prevent a lot of this thieving.

I bought a Maplin CCTV system for £250 and can see what is going on in my yard from anywhere in the world live. 30 days continuous recording and an easy to find red line signalling an "event" so you do not have to trawl through the whole period that you were away. It alerts you by text and email.

Swann DVR8-3425 8 Channel DVR CCTV Security Kit with 4 Cameras and Alarm | Maplin

Was thinking about installing one of these but wondered about where to site the main unit hub. If they see it and trash it does it render the whole system useless? Does it need to be hidden/in another building?

If theives are able to use a scanner to find a tracker (Im assuming because its emiting a signal)

Could you have it powered by the 12v supply off the tow vehicle and only work when something like the brake lights are on (would give you enough signal when on the move or being parked to get an idea where the machine is, but wont put out signal when parked up and being looked over)

Or maybe run it off the ignition system of the chipper with a timer. so it only comes on after the chippers been running for say 30 minutes. You only need to get the address of where it has been working to get a lead from those at that property as who was working there and has the chipper.

could that work or have I got it wrong the way those trackers work and how they are found by the scum stealing gear

If theives are able to use a scanner to find a tracker (Im assuming because its emiting a signal)

Could you have it powered by the 12v supply off the tow vehicle and only work when something like the brake lights are on (would give you enough signal when on the move or being parked to get an idea where the machine is, but wont put out signal when parked up and being looked over)

Or maybe run it off the ignition system of the chipper with a timer. so it only comes on after the chippers been running for say 30 minutes. You only need to get the address of where it has been working to get a lead from those at that property as who was working there and has the chipper.

could that work or have I got it wrong the way those trackers work and how they are found by the scum stealing gear

That's a clever idea.... not sure on the practicalities but is a good idea. :thumbup1:

Was thinking about installing one of these but wondered about where to site the main unit hub. If they see it and trash it does it render the whole system useless? Does it need to be hidden/in another building?

I have hidden the main recorder in two properties. It has to be a compromise between giving yourself convenient access to review, and the device being hidden enough for the thieves not to want to spend unnecessary time looking for it.

On one system, I am not sure if it was the Maplin one, there is facial recognition and it can send the images to your email and phone so you would not lose that record.

These devices move on so fast it is hard to keep up with the latest!