GUNS: Should they be legal in the UK ?

Taiga261

GUNS: Should they be legal in the UK?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. GUNS: Should they be legal in the UK?

• Yes, just like the US 2nd Amendment
    • Yes, but with sensible regulation
    • No
    • Undecided

Guns are not something that interests me at all.

If you want to go shoot pigeons or other things that's fine though.

I think the controls we have are probably good enough as the people who are stupid enough to shoot people are going to be using illegal guns most likely anyway.

Thinking about the gun problems in the US. They can't just outright ban them now as the law abiding people would be the ones to give them up whereas the criminal nutters would carry on as normal.

Easy lift guy you say the schools etc are gun free zones. Is that the school itself or an area including the school?

All school property. You will note that in any case reported the criminals only choose gun free zones. Where guns are permitted or CC Laws exist the criminals, at least the smart ones know to stay away. The stupid or sucidal assume room temp soon enough.

easy-lift guy

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, it's not just my opinion.

You are right that I'm not 'born in the USA'.

However, I have toured the entire country for nearly three years and have friends, family & work colleagues that still live there.

hmmm. maybe some US law is an ass?

cheers, steve

Only the ones that protect the criminals and punish the innocent, not limited to just this part of the planet.

easy-lift guy

Only the ones that protect the criminals and punish the innocent, not limited to just this part of the planet.

easy-lift guy

Nearly all your 61 mass murders since 1982 have been carried out with legally obtained fire arms ... What have criminals got to do with this ?

Nearly all your 61 mass murders since 1982 have been carried out with legally obtained fire arms ... What have criminals got to do with this ?

Would that number include the 14 that were killed in California two weeks ago?, O but wait you forgot to mention that the weapons that were used by the Two terrorist were purchased by a convert to Islam for cover. The same convert that was planning on an attack back in 2012. They got cold feet that year, however they made up for it Two weeks ago. BTW none of the weapons purchased would have been purchased had homeland security and the FBI had done their jobs in the first place. I can go on if you wish since in every case I can explain how the present regime in power has in many cases ordered both homeland security and the FBI to either back off or stand down.

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy

What a lot of you fail to do is use scale. The US is huge compared to the uk. If we had the same land mass and population we would have the same scale of problems I have no doubt of that

Nope, per 100,000 of population there are 60 times more homicides in USA compared to UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

What a lot of you fail to do is use scale. The US is huge compared to the uk. If we had the same land mass and population we would have the same scale of problems I have no doubt of that

Well said. I think that per head of population our mass shooting rate doesn't look too rosy i can think of 3 in my lifetime and I'm in my 20's. Gun control doesn't stop people from doing horrific things. I the states it's statistically acurate to say that almost all shooting crimes are carried out by illegally owned guns and i don't think that we can compare our situation to theirs, amendment aside the situation over their is very different.

allot of people that i hear ague for tighter gun laws in the UK actually go on to readily admit that if they/ their wife were able to own a handgun in their home legally for protection purposes then they would won one! go figure!

Our gun laws in the UK are pretty proportionate I think but there are undoubtedly those who win and those who loose, a friend's neighbour said that my friend had threatened him with a gun, the Police arrived and took his whole allocation, some of which were family air looms, others to which he had various forms of attachment and some that were useful tools he used across his land. This allegation although completely false and never proved prevented him from renewing his FAC and he is devastated.

Gun crime has risen since dunblane, many would argue as a direct result of the knee jerk reaction that followed that awful event. I for one would find it much easier, quicker and cheaper to acquire a fully automatic Zastrava Illegally in the UK than i would a fac for a large bore centrefire hunting rifle.

In 2012 to 2013 2256 recorded gun crimes were committed with unlicensed pistols vs 288 shotgun & 43 rifle and of these some were owned illegally but id don't have the exact figures but you get the idea 2256! will be nearly 10x that committed with legally owned guns!

It recently took a reporter with no local links or experience in purchasing illegal weapons just a few hours to buy an fully automatic assault rifle with ammunition in Amsterdam, just a few hours after arriving in a foreign city!

I'm sure that there is room for improvement in tweaking our gun laws and licencing process but arbitrary restrictions are unlikely to prevent anything, if anything certain aspects could be a little more relaxed or maybe more centralised/ some more rights to appeal a decision. The illegal ownership of handguns in the UK is far more prolific than pre-dunblane and they are now far more available than they ever used to be. Contrary to popular belief it is still possible to own handguns legally in the UK but only under certain circumstances.

Guns are legal in the UK, it's a shame in my opinion that we lost the sport of pistol shooting, it created allot more problems than it solved. The key to ensuring people have a responsible attitude to firearms is education, introducing kids to firearms responsibly at a young age, in my experience, instils a healthy respect and discipline that lasts them their whole life.

They become criminals when they commit the 61 mass murders ?..........Possibly ? :001_smile:

Edited by Stubby