GUNS: Should they be legal in the UK ?

Taiga261

GUNS: Should they be legal in the UK?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. GUNS: Should they be legal in the UK?

• Yes, just like the US 2nd Amendment
    • Yes, but with sensible regulation
    • No
    • Undecided

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could before Dunblane and Hungerford hold handguns and automatic weapons for target shooting, personal protection use was limited to northern Ireland during the troubles, the problem was that before the new gun legislation you bought your shotgun licence over the counter at the post office and there was no record of who owned what, when the new legislation came in it created a huge pool of illegal firearms overnight.

As I have previously stated, it's one of the conditions on your certificate. Where your allegiances lie doesn't come into it, that's the law and that it.

Yes that's the law! I'm not always sure about the law, but if you are, that's fine.

because of the draconian firearms laws introduced post hungerford, then dunblane, it has actually became easier to obtain any type of illegal firearm than ever before. if you have the cash, anything is available, the changes in the firearms laws were rushed through as part of a knee jerk public reaction, and the real problems( corruption in the licencsing boards, and senior police officers) are still there

Edited by agrimog

I know plenty of people (personally, sadly) that should never be allowed to possess firearms. Thankfully most of them never will. So apart from hunting, pest control and sports I would be against guns being widely available.

I learned to shoot with a 303 and really enjoyed it but for similar reasons to Mr egg I would never get a licence.

I,m not overly familiar with the legislation required to own a gun in the uk, but I can't see any good coming froming anyone wanting to own a gun that isn't directly involved in game hunting/shooting/stalking etc. apparent

Given the regularity of 'shootouts' in schools/public places in the US, I personally think ownership of a gun should not be easy and certainly not a given right. censorship definiatly required.

FYI, All of the 'shootouts' in schools/public places in the US were all in gun free zones. The criminals are working the laws to protect them self's so that when finally confronted by law enforcement they usually kill them self's and or plead insanity and a liberal judge and or jury will leave them in prison for a while until they have been rehabed or cured and set free to repeat the crime or worse.

I am find with my second amendment right. More gun control is not the answer, the answer is to enforce existing laws on the books and prosecute and punish the offenders.

easy-lift guy

You could before Dunblane and Hungerford hold handguns and automatic weapons for target shooting, personal protection use was limited to northern Ireland during the troubles, the problem was that before the new gun legislation you bought your shotgun licence over the counter at the post office and there was no record of who owned what, when the new legislation came in it created a huge pool of illegal firearms overnight.

Just wondering if you know the difference between a automatic weapon and a semi-automatic weapon. When you say " before Dunblane and Hungerford hold handguns and automatic weapons for target shooting, personal protection"

Are you saying automatic weapons were permitted for target shooting and personal protection at one time in the UK?

easy-lift guy

Hi Elg, no didn't phrase that very well, I don't think automatic weapons have ever been legal for personal protection although before the end of ww1 I think you could carry handguns for personal protection after the war the government were worried about unrest so began to restrict legal gun ownership, fully automatic weapons are now banned in the UK, you can have a semi automatic shotgun up to 3 shot on a shotgun licence but if you want one with more expensive capacity it has to go on a firearms licence, think semi auto rifles are only allowed up to .22 rim fire and licences renewed every 5 years, just sent my renewal in.

FYI, All of the 'shootouts' in schools/public places in the US were all in gun free zones. The criminals are working the laws to protect them self's so that when finally confronted by law enforcement they usually kill them self's and or plead insanity and a liberal judge and or jury will leave them in prison for a while until they have been rehabed or cured and set free to repeat the crime or worse.

I am find with my second amendment right. More gun control is not the answer, the answer is to enforce existing laws on the books and prosecute and punish the offenders.

easy-lift guy

Gun removal from a vast number of the US population would be a step in the right direction. According to all the 'deaths due to guns' graphs that is obvious.

cheers, Steve