GUNS: Should they be legal in the UK ?

Taiga261

GUNS: Should they be legal in the UK?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. GUNS: Should they be legal in the UK?

• Yes, just like the US 2nd Amendment
    • Yes, but with sensible regulation
    • No
    • Undecided

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you taken legal advice from one of the shooting organisation?

No, and to be fair I'm not interested in shooting any more, I've turned down two beaters days that Mrs Egg as earned this season.

The things that I find mad are I can go out and shoot a shotgun so long as I'm with someone who has a SC, my Mrs can keep a shotgun in our home, yet if I want a SC I can't get one.

Laws an ass.

Sympathise with you mate. I have held shotgun certificate for 40 years and FAC for 38. Did get a lot of grief from the firearms officer when I applied for FAC as I also have a record. Guess it was a bit easier back then. He made it very clear that any new run in with the law would mean me losing FAC. Kept nose clean since.

Yes, I applied for mine when the firearms officer came to speak to Mrs Egg. He told me in no uncertain terms that I wouldn't be getting a SC, yet Mrs Egg still has a gun in the house.

Like I said, madness.

It's not madness or a deficiency in the licensing protocol. It simply demonstrates that you don't fully understand the protocols or that Mrs Eggs isn't complying with them.

No offence intended, and I don't mean to cast any opinion on the reasons why you might not be eligible. If you're not, you're not. That's a black & white situation.

To suggest that having a shotgun in the house makes an ass of the legislation is disingenuous.

Mrs J doesn't hold a SC, neither does she have access or knowledge of how to gain access to mine. If she applied in her own right she would, probably, be granted SC or FAC. She hasn't, but there are firearms in the house.

She can't access them because that's a condition of my certificates.

If you can access Mrs Eggs shotgun(s), then Mrs Eggs is failing in her responsibility as a SC holder.

You present a "real world" but somewhat biased / myopic opinion of the legislation if you think it's inadequate based upon the circumstances you present.

No offence intended Mr Eggs, just don't agree with the premise of your argument that the legislation is madness.

It's not madness or a deficiency in the licensing protocol. It simply demonstrates that you don't fully understand the protocols or that Mrs Eggs isn't complying with them.

No offence intended, and I don't mean to cast any opinion on the reasons why you might not be eligible. If you're not, you're not. That's a black & white situation.

To suggest that having a shotgun in the house makes an ass of the legislation is disingenuous.

Mrs J doesn't hold a SC, neither does she have access or knowledge of how to gain access to mine. If she applied in her own right she would, probably, be granted SC or FAC. She hasn't, but there are firearms in the house.

If you can access Mrs Eggs shotgun(s), then Mrs Eggs is failing in her responsibility as a SC holder.

You present a "real world" but somewhat biased / myopic opinion of the legislation if you think it's inadequate based upon the circumstances you present.

No offence intended Mr Eggs, just don't agree with the premise of your argument that the legislation is madness.

Hi Kevin let's not go down route about where people keep their keys are weather partners know where to get the keys or open the gun safe it not what 1st post was about or fare thanks Jon

I'll give you most of that. But in the real world I would imagine that most people's spouse would know where the keys to the gun cabinet are kept. Not that I know where Mrs Egg keeps her key mind.

I'll give you most of that. But in the real world I would imagine that most people's spouse would know where the keys to the gun cabinet are kept. Not that I know where Mrs Egg keeps her key mind.

Fair one Mr eggs! I was a bit uncomfortable with the wisdom of the "show us your guns" thread to be fair. I'm not sure showing pics of what's in the cabinet is in the spirit of the legislation. Discretion being the better part of security an all that....

Good post Kevin. Only thing I'd add is that during Mrs Egg's application the licensing officer also spoke with Mr Egg so possibly a good example of the law and process working well... Ie on paper Mr Egg not fit and proper to hold in his own right but firearms officer saw no reason that Mrs E's application should be refused. If Mr E was a bonafide nut job (surely worthy of another thread in own right ;) then I'm sure situation would be different.

Long-winded but hope what I mean is clear

Edited by Wood wasp