Why are some logs free just lately?

Woodlover

Hi, I have been collecting free logs and trees from various people and sites for about 8 years now,I have a log burner and a very cold house,burns for 6month a year.

8 years ago all I had to do was ask any tree surgeons i passed on my travels and they mostly gave me wood,free or for a drink.

Then about 6 years ago the stuff is like gold dust and no one was giving anything or leaving anything.

But just lately ,for the last year around where I live, trees are felled and left to rot...I have been spoilt with loads of Ash and even found in my log store recently some lovely Oak which I will make into shelving.I have not stolen any logs,the logs are left for "anyone to take" said the boss of the guys felling them for the council who owns the land they are on.

Also along the local motoway (M65) they felled about 4 miles worth of road side trees leaving about a miles worth of hardwoods on the ground to rot,they collected the rest but I guess thats because the felled trunks were visible from the road where as where the mile they left is, is down hill hidden from veiw.

My Dad recently got some quotes for felling 3 pines and one hardwood,no one wanted the wood and even wanted to charge more to take it away.

And then on here I read someone asking for free wood and it does not go down to well,which I understand as I agree an offer of a drink or few quid in return should be the norm ,but ...Why are some logs free in recent times,or being left to rot?

A website that advertises on tv now with its free ads service ,often has free logs available in Huddersfield, too far for me to go but whats happening in that part of the UK,why are they not wanted?

I will take any unwanted local wood, my current supply is running low and Im looking to start re-filling my log shelter for next year if any one wants to do a deal with this unwanted wood...I am slightly disabled but can do somethings still ,so maybe I can help you, if I take it easy I can be of use,and of course always willing to bung ya a good drink.

Roadside stuff is left because the cutting teams don't want to cart it away, especially as VOSA are always on the prowl!

Utilities stuff is left as teams usually travel a fair distance to site, and once again, don't want the logistics. Similar with domestic, rail or any with a potential to remove waste.

Nature reserves, woodlands and such similar is usually left stacked as habitat.

Why, is quite simple, a few years ago, wood burners were fashionable, so the price of wood rocketed up. Everyone then started doing firewood, producing cheaper, poorer quality fuel. That then killed the market, it costed more to extract, process and store the wood than it's resale value, so it gets left behind, either for someone to collect, or to rot down.

Hi, I have been collecting free logs and trees from various people and sites for about 8 years now,I have a log burner and a very cold house,burns for 6month a year.

8 years ago all I had to do was ask any tree surgeons i passed on my travels and they mostly gave me wood,free or for a drink.

Then about 6 years ago the stuff is like gold dust and no one was giving anything or leaving anything.

But just lately ,for the last year around where I live, trees are felled and left to rot...I have been spoilt with loads of Ash and even found in my log store recently some lovely Oak which I will make into shelving.I have not stolen any logs,the logs are left for "anyone to take" said the boss of the guys felling them for the council who owns the land they are on.

Also along the local motoway (M65) they felled about 4 miles worth of road side trees leaving about a miles worth of hardwoods on the ground to rot,they collected the rest but I guess thats because the felled trunks were visible from the road where as where the mile they left is, is down hill hidden from veiw.

My Dad recently got some quotes for felling 3 pines and one hardwood,no one wanted the wood and even wanted to charge more to take it away.

And then on here I read someone asking for free wood and it does not go down to well,which I understand as I agree an offer of a drink or few quid in return should be the norm ,but ...Why are some logs free in recent times,or being left to rot?

A website that advertises on tv now with its free ads service ,often has free logs available in Huddersfield, too far for me to go but whats happening in that part of the UK,why are they not wanted?

I will take any unwanted local wood, my current supply is running low and Im looking to start re-filling my log shelter for next year if any one wants to do a deal with this unwanted wood...I am slightly disabled but can do somethings still ,so maybe I can help you, if I take it easy I can be of use,and of course always willing to bung ya a good drink.

The council began the work on the motor M65, they left most of the timber they cut, they then got a contractor in to complete the work, the contractor removed all the timber they cut.

Utilities stuff is left as teams usually travel a fair distance to site, and once again, don't want the logistics.

I'll also venture a guess that the utilities often don't own the trees they're cutting down as they only have a right of way. So they can't take the wood away without the landowner's permission?

Heating oil price panic about 5 or 6 years back (and cold winters)- so lots of folk fitted wood burners. As other people have said, that caused a rise in the price of cordwood with massive demand. Now the opposite is happening, slumping oil price, people have got over the glamour and novelty (and labour) of wood heating, warm winters aren't exactly helping.