MP's Approve Fracking Under National Parks

Taiga261

In support of Kevin's post earlier.

The shale gas under the UK isn't going anywhere. In the wake of the optimistic and forward thinking resolutions coming out of the Paris talks, would it not be appropriate to put our considerable expertise and our resources into the development of wind and solar, rather than instantly making a mockery of the agreement and say we are going to squeeze the last drops of fossil fuels out of the Earth first. It is baffling and embarrassing.

Shale gas should be an option of last resort, but our government has also just pulled the plug on it's commitment to carbon capture and storage so it's pretty clear where their priorities lie:thumbdown:

👍🏻

Kind of drives a wagon & horses through any kind of credibility aspiration when trying to justify to developing nations why they should try and limit carbon out put.

Solar PV storage of excess is what I'd like to see developed.

Think it was "Click" that featured an experimental project where elec cars are plugged into grid and the combined battery capacity of many cars was used as a power bank. Clever, collective cooperation and innovative I thought!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the wake of the optimistic and forward thinking resolutions coming out of the Paris talks, would it not be appropriate to put our considerable expertise and our resources into the development of wind and solar, rather than instantly making a mockery of the agreement and say we are going to squeeze the last drops of fossil fuels out of the Earth first.

I'm really into the Environment, but having a power generation system based solely on solar/ wind is unlikely to work as wind and sunshine are not dependable...

We need traditional electrical generation for cold January evenings when there is no sun and no wind.

I'm really into the Environment, but having a power generation system based solely on solar/ wind is unlikely to work as wind and sunshine are not dependable...

We need traditional electrical generation for cold January evenings when there is no sun and no wind.

We are getting better at storing energy from renewables, it just needs more development. We also have the know how to build new houses that don't require any heating but we don't build them.

With some brave leadership and support we could all use a lot less energy. Fracking is a risky strategy that just delays the inevitable and sends out completely the wrong message.

We are getting better at storing energy from renewables, it just needs more development. We also have the know how to build new houses that don't require any heating but we don't build them.

With some brave leadership and support we could all use a lot less energy. Fracking is a risky strategy that just delays the inevitable and sends out completely the wrong message.

👍🏻 right-on!

Battery storage is getting better, but it's not going to be good enough to really be useful for the National Grid anytime soon. I also think the mining for the "rare earth metals" required for the batteries is a whole can of worms....

100% agree about using less energy.

I think when we all get smart meters it will mean a big difference to how we use energy. As it now stands wind farms are sometimes paid money not to produce electricity... With smart meters the National Grid could drop the price of electricity when it's windy and all us consumers could "store" the electricity in electric storage heaters :)

Battery storage is getting better, but it's not going to be good enough to really be useful for the National Grid anytime soon. I also think the mining for the "rare earth metals" required for the batteries is a whole can of worms....

100% agree about using less energy.

I think when we all get smart meters it will mean a big difference to how we use energy. As it now stands wind farms are sometimes paid money not to produce electricity... With smart meters the National Grid could drop the price of electricity when it's windy and all us consumers could "store" the electricity in electric storage heaters :)

Sounds good to me.

Batteries are a bit of a problem, but there's a lot of work going on to produce other storage options using water and other mediums. I feel we should be throwing money at these type of initiatives rather than lining the pockets of the fat cats at Quadrilla.

It is also sickening to hear about the obscene profits that the traditional energy companies make. There's a reason in itself to use less energy! Best case scenario of course is to generate your own energy but the government is making this more difficult too.

Silly me I had forgotten they make batteries out of wood & water , none of which needs to be extracted from the ground the other side of the globe :001_rolleyes: