help me get correct ppe.

griffinjp

That extra £30 in the boots example you've given isn't purely a case of Mr Honey himself (and his brother) chuckling away as they light big cigars with £20 notes... (same with all the suppliers on here, not just Honey Bros!)

You are paying for the experience and knowledge of the chap behind the till pointing you in the right direction for what you need. For the running costs of the large, well stocked shop you can go into and peruse at your leisure, rather than someone's garage on ebay. For the knowledge that if there is a problem with the item, you can phone up or email and be fairly confident the dealer will help you sort it out.

I buy climbing kit on the Internet from one of the site sponsors on here, which one depends on what I want as they don't all stock everything. This is only because there is nobody local to me who sells climbing kit.

For saws, chains, boots and trousers I will go to the local supplier, and happily pay more than Internet prices for being able to pick them up, have a look before I buy. It also means the day I am in the s**t and need a new chain, spark plug etc THAT DAY I can go there, knowing they will hopefully still be in business!

Sorry for the derail

In answer to the OP, new boots and helmet would be good, say £200 should cover this. What size are you? I probably have an old pair of chainsaw trousers kicking about you can have, PM me. They may need a bit of patching up with a needle, but pay postage and they're yours.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That extra £30 in the boots example you've given isn't purely a case of Mr Honey himself (and his brother) chuckling away as they light big cigars with £20 notes... (same with all the suppliers on here, not just Honey Bros!)

You are paying for the experience and knowledge of the chap behind the till pointing you in the right direction for what you need. For the running costs of the large, well stocked shop you can go into and peruse at your leisure, rather than someone's garage on ebay. For the knowledge that if there is a problem with the item, you can phone up or email and be fairly confident the dealer will help you sort it out.

I buy climbing kit on the Internet from one of the site sponsors on here, which one depends on what I want as they don't all stock everything. This is only because there is nobody local to me who sells climbing kit.

For saws, chains, boots and trousers I will go to the local supplier, and happily pay more than Internet prices for being able to pick them up, have a look before I buy. It also means the day I am in the s**t and need a new chain, spark plug etc THAT DAY I can go there, knowing they will hopefully still be in business!

Sorry for the derail

In answer to the OP, new boots and helmet would be good, say £200 should cover this. What size are you? I probably have an old pair of chainsaw trousers kicking about you can have, PM me. They may need a bit of patching up with a needle, but pay postage and they're yours.

:thumbup1:This. I'ts pretty much why I only use certain suppliers for most of my stuff. I can pick up most of the gear cheaper on trademe, eBay etc but I prefer to spend a little extra when I know Im getting the right advice, the aforementioned knowledge and everything else along with the back up if something goes tits up. As an example; I put nearly all of my business with Treetools in Auckland because, despite him being slightly more expensive than said internet competition, I know i can ring the owner up and spend an hour chewing his ear and getting all the latest advice, tips and info plus product back up with no questions asked if something goes wrong.