help me get correct ppe.

griffinjp

hello,

i'm starting out in the new year by attending an arboriculture course at merrist wood. need to invest in some basic ppe, climbing lid, type c trousers, boots etc. theres so much out there can anyone advise me on where to get the best stuff for the best price. i'd like new boots but the rest i'm happy with second hand unless advised otherwise.....

thanks very much all that help.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honey Brothers is the closest arb supplier to Merrist Wood. They are expensive but if you go in you will be able to look around and get an idea of what fits etc. Get the product codes and price then phone up others or google search.

With regards to using second hand, I wouldn't!!! You never know how old the helmets are or if they have been dropped. Trousers will have been worn day in day out and are like a sleeping bag around your legs!

It will cost a bit to get all new but worth it. Also speak to the college before buying, they usually set up a couple of trade days at the college for students to buy.

By the way good luck with the course

thanks for the words of wisdom. brand new it is. what about the actual chainsaws etc?

anyone local to Peterborough that would entertain the possibility of meeting up or in need of an enthusiastic, newly trained arborist in the new year? would like to get some hands on experience from someone when I'm finished my course.

Ive picked up chainsaw trousers on ebay,2nd hand but looked and felt like brand new on ebay for half the retail price.Its worth a look,especially when trousers are so expensive.

As for gloves,boots helmet etc buy new is best.

I did the same, SIP innovations, said used twice, and looked it too. Half the price.

Oregon Saw trousers are dirt cheap, about £70? I've found they wear very well and last.

Boots, Airstreams were on offer last week for about £160, dunno if that was a Black Friday thing or not.

Lid - Buy new

Id go to your local place, try some stuff on etc. They will most likely give you 10- 15% discount in the hope of you returning