Insurance... A word of warning

garth mc garth

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After my 2nd break in this year and my 2nd disappointing result from the insurance company I wanted to share some advice.

I recently lost 7k of tools in a break in, a mixture of saws and most annoying were my tool boxes of fencing gear. I didn't actually realise I had been broken into as they had done such a neat job of closing everything up and it was only when I went to put the fuel cans for the tractor in the truck I realised.

Now I rang the police told them everything I knew but was still quite shocked over what had happened.

I then rang the insurance company who after a short while told me that my tools aren't covered outside of working hours 9pm - 6 am.... After having an argument with the claims department who basically said tough luck.

Then over 40 days later after my many attempts to contact them failed and the written statement form they said they had sent had not arrived I eventually got a very unsympathetic letter where my calls to them and the police were scrutinised and elements were high lighted. Handy to question me over 40 days later after a group of people have been picking holes in what I told the police.

So long and the short of it is make sure you be as accurate as possible with what you tell the police and claims department, I heard a loud bang at 8pm and went outside but saw nothing so didn't mention it to the police. Axa used this against me.

Make sure you're covered for everything you want, even worth asking what you aren't covered for.

In the 2 robberies I lost a combined 9500 worth of tools which I now have to replace out of my own pocket, so the thieving scum of 2015 have essentially had 19k off me this year.

Sorry to hear this.... How about trust?

Good heads up mate, and sorry to hear this.

Has anyone told the thieving scum that they're not allowed to operate 'outside working hours'?

I'll be checking the terms of my policy pretty carefully.

Your insurance co. have basically been stealing your money.

What's the difference between thieves & insurance brokers....

One lot does 9-5, the other lot do 21:00-05:00!

Worth a thought:

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1449756925.935919.jpg.9b78cdf2f4e0c0ddc7f9cf4a3095d22a.jpg

Sorry to hear if your loss, I have never heard if anything do ridiculous that your insurance over covers you for part of a day! Go through your policy very carefully, and regardless of what it says I think a word with financial ombudsman might be worthwhile as at the very least you have been mis sold, how any one would sell you a policy that didn't cover theft at night us unbelievable.

I have been with axa since 2006 and have never made a claim, I had never even made a motoring claim until earlier this year when my truck was stolen from the garage it was being repaired at.

I understand people falsify claims etc but the police never even bothered to send anyone out as in their own words all we can say is" tell you someone has been in your truck". Genius eh.

In their own words we have to assume the robbery happened in the dead of night..... We all know what assumption is the mother of don't we?!

It was the senior claims handler that wrote to me so I can't take it any higher in that department tho a letter to the financial ombudsman is in order.

Researching the whole situation it seems the long delay between correspondence is a regular occurrence.