3.5 ton or bigger??

NCSTrees

Evening all

I’m thinking of upgrading my tipper truck. Currently I have a VW LT46 down rated to a 3500KG but have considered a Mitsubishi canter 7.5 Ton or something similar.

I was just curious on the pros and cons to having a 7.5 ton rather that a 3.5? if there cheaper to insure and keep on the road etc?

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Nick

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I've recently put my pre-1997 licence in to be exchanged for a French version.

It will be 2 months before I recieve my new licence.

I 'had' the 7.5t+trailer gross train weight 12t

However, I now read that the U.K licence has been downgraded to 7.5t plus 750kg trailer GTW of 850kg

Not good news seeing as I have a 7.5t arriving in a few weeks plus a 1250kg chipper on order PLUS I tow a 3.5t trailer too so 11t GTW.

When did this change in the licence occur?

I last renewed my U.K licence in 2010.

So do I now require a test for a larger trailer OR my HGV tickets...?

That's 1200euros here plus a week out of work.

Ty

Hello,

I've recently put my pre-1997 licence in to be exchanged for a French version.

It will be 2 months before I recieve my new licence.

I 'had' the 7.5t+trailer gross train weight 12t

However, I now read that the U.K licence has been downgraded to 7.5t plus 750kg trailer GTW of 850kg

Not good news seeing as I have a 7.5t arriving in a few weeks plus a 1250kg chipper on order PLUS I tow a 3.5t trailer too so 11t GTW.

When did this change in the licence occur?

Ty

It has been the case here for quite a while that then old licenses have a restricted train weight. need to take the test to get up to full weight so C1+E or C+E and gain all 4 categories.

It has been the case here for quite a while that then old licenses have a restricted train weight. need to take the test to get up to full weight so C1+E or C+E and gain all 4 categories.

Yes most pre 1997 had the restriction code 107 which limits the gross train weight to 8.25 tonnes, were the 107 not present then GTW could be 12 tonnes. I think he difference was if you claimed HGV2 when grandfather rights on lorries over 7.5 tonne were introduced.

Ty

One of the lads here took his class2 HGV and he still cant drive a transit with a big trailer, its crazy. You still need to do the trailer test unless you go for class1 HGV.:confused1:

Bob

One of the lads here took his class2 HGV and he still cant drive a transit with a big trailer, its crazy. You still need to do the trailer test unless you go for class1 HGV.:confused1:

Bob

HGV1 is now C + E so two tests isn't it?

I would have qualified for grandfather rights for HGV 1 but was still just too young for the 6 month qualifying period, just as well as I don't like driving long vehicles or pulling trailers. I was driving furniture delivery lorries and used to dread backing into the loading bays of the smaller urban stores.

I dont know, its all a far cry from the days I handed over £500 for a three day course for the class 1, it was just a couple of hours driving on test day and a few highway code questions, if you kept the truck off the pavement you passed :001_smile:. Its like any government legislation, top heavy and mind numbingly complicated. Look at all the cr@p you need to go through these days for a bike or a lorry license ,current system needs tidying up because its a its a mess.

Bob

I.

Yes, category C to drive a rigid lorry, C+E to add a trailer entitlement this will give you a +E on any other license you hold or get in the future too if you don't have it already I.e B+E, D+E etc

Yes, category C to drive a rigid lorry, C+E to add a trailer entitlement this will give you a +E on any other license you hold or get in the future too if you don't have it already I.e B+E, D+E etc

I didn't get a reply when I asked anybody about the age limit on the tests, it tends to be academic but my C1+E is valid for a little while yet till I'm 70, I think the +E as a result of a C+E test will be limited by medical??